What to play? Uh-Oh

Default What to play? Uh-Oh

So It happens. I've played house parties and mountain bars for the past two years. It's always fun. Now I have the opportunity to hook up with a promoter. The problem is that I might be have to do weddings and high school proms as well. So as a "tryout" I have to play a wedding. As of now I mainly mix electro things with sampler and synth. What to play? Hmmmmmm.
    Last edited by Mixer Miyagi; 09-21-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Playing weddings is a way of making money but I don't think weddings will lead to electro gigs. Unless the wedding party want you to play electro. Personally, I'd hate to play weddings where you had to break out the cheese classics.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Playing weddings is a way of making money
    +1 id kill myself before playing at weddings haha, i don't think i would be cut out for it at all

But anyway, for a wedding you should get a list of tracks before hand of what the couple would like you to play, then mix along those lines.

Atleast your not expected to make epic blends, radio style quick cuts are fine in this sort of a situation - the most important thing is that your playing tracks that people like.

There's a shit-ton of site out there with the 'top hits' played at weddings.

Wanna make $? Play weddings. With a smile!

Sometimes wedding Dj's are given the songs that the newly weds/friends/family want played. So you might be saved the trouble of picking songs anyway

I can't imagine playing weddings will get you recognised by the electro nights in your town though. Unless the people at the wedding run those nights :S
    The Prime Directive - Electro, Disco & House
    My SoundCloud account: www.soundcloud.com/the-prime-directive
    My Design & Animation Website: www.mintyfreshdesigns.co.uk

Yea I know. I'm kind of dreading the whole aspect of it. There's no possible way I can play the cheesy shit. So we will see what happens. I'm in a strange situation. I need the extra money and it's a favor to my boss who bought me a nice PA system for my own house parties. Any body been in this situation before. What have some of you guys played at events like this (if you ever had).

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Mixer Miyagi View Post
    Yea I know. I'm kind of dreading the whole aspect of it. There's no possible way I can play the cheesy shit. So we will see what happens. I'm in a strange situation. I need the extra money and it's a favor to my boss who bought me a nice PA system for my own house parties. Any body been in this situation before. What have some of you guys played at events like this (if you ever had).
    Then don't do it. If you're DJing a wedding, it's not about you. You play what will make the Bride, Groom, and their guests happy. Make sure you're reading the crowd and realize what they like. Please don't ruin someone's wedding because you don't want to play songs that they like.

I only mention this because the last wedding I was at had a horrible DJ who seemed to be afraid of Top 40, despite being given a songlist by the wedding party. The majority of the wedding party was pissed, and the bride kept yelling at him. He did not get a tip.

To be fair, the DJ seemed especially clueless, and was playing celtic folk music for a bit, until the Bride hand picked CD's for him.

How are your mic skills? You'll likely have to do some announcements. On the upside you won't have to beatmatch if you don't feel like it, you can just crossfade any 2 tracks as long as the people are dancing.
    Last edited by [dvdg]; 09-22-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Ahhh. Bite the Bullet. Hopefully somebody will bring me drinks and I'll make it happen. Now I have to put a big dent in my WHAt.cd ratio, downloading the goods. Fun times await