What % of Ableton DJ's mime?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default What % of Ableton DJ's mime?

Saw a pair of Ableton DJ's last night do the odd bit of 'miming'. Silly things like pretend to turn on basslines with the EQ's, when clearly their laptop wasn't wired up to the mixer anyway. And it's not as if a producer is ever going to release a tune where a DJ is going to have to trigger an integral part of the track every 2 bars by twisting the bass dial to 4 O'clock (in real life that might blow the speakers!), because that would be an unfinished song.

I'm not hating on Ableton Live users because they don't beatmatch, after all it's still an improvised DJ set. But this comedic miming further confuses people as to what a DJ really does. So, how often do you see this in clubs, and if you're an Ableton user are you guilty of it?

i presume they had some sort of soundcard connected to the mixer, 1 of the wires might of been a connecting to the mixer.. might of been a midi mixer? might not of been a track could of be sounds produced on the fly live.

if it was just a track then imo ableton sets take alot of prep prior, beat gridding takes practice, 4 x 4 is easy but anything with a off beat or breaks can be more taxing. its defo a skill you learn.

No this was definitely 'miming', they weren't doing loops or re-edits. Just DJing in the traditional manner, one track into another like you would on two decks & a mixer, albeit without a mixer and on Ableton Live. The EQuing was blatant false showmanship on their part. I suppose it's all part in parcel of DJ's unfortunately being something the crowd looks at, so without the physical demands of 90 seconds beatmatching and cueing a record back & forth they feel they have to do something to 'justify' their presence on the 'stage' by faking it. It should all be about the music IMO.

It's not something I've seen before so I was wondering how common it is. And this is in England. No doubt theres parts of the world where its more common.

I've played back to back with another DJ (both using S2s and Traktor) before and watched him twist knobs and throw faders when I was mixing and he was off. I think its a pathetic DJ thing more than a software thing.

its a pathetic DJ thing
    This.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

I go to clubs to look at the girls, not the DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    <ding ding> winner winner!!
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Aaaaaaand get drunk...
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Exactly 35.872% of Ableton DJs mime.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    Beat me to it.

As for OP, I know only one guy who DJ's with Ableton and he was regarded by our newspaper as the #1 DJ of (our area here).

His gear consists of a 13" Macbook Pro and a ZeRO SL MKII.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast