Help choosing headphones and novation nocturn
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Help choosing headphones and novation nocturn

I never tested out dj headphones and was wondering how much of a difference would a cheap 60$ headphones compare to a 200$ one. How important is quality of the headphones?

Also I was wondering if anybody knew much about the novation nocturn and if its worth paying a Benjamen for it. I was comparing that to buying an ipad with an app similar to that.

Any advice soon would be much appreciated!
    x1s, f1 ,Djc4, MF Soon! https://soundcloud.com/km46

Most branded headphones from $100-200 will do the trick fine. A lot of it is personal preference, whether you prefer a neutral or bass heavy sound etc. My previous cans were the sennheiser hd-205's, super crisp sound, comfy fit, and have been trance resistant for over 3 years. Cheap as chops too.
    Check out some youtube reviews before you fork out any cash mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

SOny v-6 and the sony 7506 are a good place to start sub a hundo...once you get above a hundo the choices are limitless...

find a spot...test some out...buying some straight away? spend less than a hundred bucks...after than...spend the time and money on something you will have for the next decade...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    SOny v-6 and the sony 7506 are a good place to start sub a hundo...once you get above a hundo the choices are limitless...
    +1 Get some Sony 7506's from Amazon, currently under $80 and they will last over a decade no worries and perfect for both studio and the DJbox, even compared to MANY $200+ phones they easily hold their own (i'm ordering a second pair shortly to replace my 14 year old ones)... however the sound is subjective to taste as they are VERY analytical headphones.

Also if you want a bargain at the moment and can afford $150 check out the Refurbished HD25 Amperior which is on offer from vminnovations.com, essentially exactly the same as the HD25 Aluminium but was released at over $350 originally.

Rest easy in the knowledge that with the hd25's that there really is not too many other DJ headphones out there that can touch them in audio quality, noise reduction or volume.

Also I was wondering if anybody knew much about the novation nocturn and if its worth paying a Benjamen for it. I was comparing that to buying an ipad with an app similar to that.
    If its secondhand - no way, if its new sure, maybe. It depends on what you are planning to use it for, you might get more value from a second hand mixtrak pro depending on your needs.

From a DJ standpoint you need only one thing - loud enough to hear whats being cued above the PA.

However they should Ideally be:

1. Loud Enough to hear all the frequencies you need to mix *without distorting.
    2. Durable Enough that they wont break on the pressure areas (hinges/headband).
    3. Comfortable enough for long sweaty sets

Under $60 you will be VERY hard pushed to find #2 (even more expensive headphones have problems in this area). and almost impossible to find #1

I've used and abused plenty of $20-$60 headphones in my time and for a while starting out It was becoming a trend that every month I'd buy another $20-$50 set of headphones until I got the MDR-V6's which have not given me one ounce of a problem in all the time I've had them (apart from replacing the pads after 5 or 6 years).

Now if you need a headphone that can be multi purposed for home studio use as well you will want quality audio as well with a reasonably flat response so that you aren't enhancing or cutting frequencies that the headphones already enhance (so no Dre Beats).

My advice to end it - buy quality headphones that will last and you will really save a bundle in the long run (I wish I had).
    Last edited by deevey; 08-18-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Tech Mentor

i can get the xone xd2 for 150$, 50$ cheaper then normal.
    or eskuche 45 for 60$, 60$ cheaper then normal.

i want to get the xone but i cant figure totally wither the extra cost is worth something important enough that i need.

quick reply appreciated : ]
    x1s, f1 ,Djc4, MF Soon! https://soundcloud.com/km46

I like the novation nocturn.. I have brought two of them over time... There was a difference between them though..

The first one I bought had a very nice resistance of the encoders when turning them, it made the unit feel more solid so it could be abused and was easier to dial in precise settings. The second one has very loose encoders, they actually feel very breakable. There was no difference in the chassis between the two units, it's made of plastic but it is very strong and could survive a fall or knocks with little problems.

Another point that I don't like about the unit is that it is not midi or HID so you only get access to eight encoders and eight buttons, the lower button on the unit are used as shift functions in the firmware and cannot be used for any other software related purpose. Because the hardware runs with automap with it's own communication protocol there is no way to get access to the buttons with any translating software. I have mailed novation's tech support and they could offer no solution.

The last negative is that while the encoder knobs are touch sensitive there is no way to utilize this function in software eg having a filter or effect knob that activates when you touch the encoder and switches off when you release.

If you can live with these limitations it is a great device, The good part about it is automap is very responsive, all the leds on the encoders and buttons can be controlled via software sending midi. The encoders can be set to virtual absolute or relative 'like a jog wheel'. You can even set the amount of steps that an absolute value can travel. Another good function is that you can set the acceleration of moving the encoders, so you can have a linear or curved response when you turn the knob.

I have requested to novation to make another unit utiilising 16 rgb pads and the same encoders but never heard a reply to that email, so it's probably unlikely to get updated. but it is in my opinion definitely worth a Benjaman if it strictly sent HID or midi it would be worth two.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/637722/esku...s-any-opinions

Eskuche are NOT headphones you should even consider... Fashion statements rarely are!

Personally I don't like the xone either (which are not made by Allen and Heath) but they sure the are a better choice than blowing your cash on a substandard pair of headphones designed just to look good.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/637722/esku...s-any-opinions

Eskuche are NOT headphones you should even consider... Fashion statements rarely are!

Personally I don't like the xone either (which are not made by Allen and Heath) but they sure the are a better choice than blowing your cash on a substandard pair of headphones designed just to look good.
    he hit me up in PM and asked about those same two sets of headphones...I told him to buy the sonys from amazon...

you can lead a horse to water...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

you can lead a horse to water...
    Word bro

I currently use Pioneer HDJ-2000s and I absolutely LOVE THEM!!! But they also cost $349...if thats out of your budget, I give a +1 to the Sony's...I had a pair of them when I was a radio DJ (almost 9 years ago) and they just died on me last year...actually one of the saddest days ever for me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast