audio 4 DJ

Thread: audio 4 DJ

Tech Wizard

Default audio 4 DJ

i'm currently using a VCI-300 as both soundcard and controller and whilst it's fine for playing smaller parties it tends to sound a bit raw at high volumes.

couple of questions:

1. does anyone have experience with both the VCI-300 and audio 4 and in your opinion does the audio 4 have a bigger sound?

2. i already have traktor pro and my old decks - given that it's £100 more to buy traktor scratch duo rather than the audio 4 by itself i was thinking of buying the package and selling the copy of the scratch duo software and using the audio 4 + cables + control vinyl for when i want to have that vinyl feel - i assume the audio 4 will work fine with trakto pro correct?

thanks!

Hey Tech Tool,

I used the VCM100 for a while, I am pretty sure that has the same sound card as the VCI300, a maya 44. I recently got a VCI100 and an Audio 4 DJ. It is noticeably better. The main difference is that the Maya has a low output level compared to the NI. The NI may be a little to high and the Maya a little to low. IMO somewhere in the middle would be best. That aside the NI sounds better.

Hope that helps.
    MBP + Traktor Pro, Audio4 DJ VCI100 se v1.3 rocks!!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Keep in mind it's a LOT easier to turn it down than to turn it up.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Absolutely.

But.... Why not make the output level 0db? NI's video talk about how the Audio 4 DJ has the ability to 'rock a club system' but high gain on the output is not always the answer. I think that most dj's will plug into the existing club mixer, as I do. I plug into a Xone 92. The Audio 4 output is around +6db and the Maya was around -4. That is a 10db difference. That is alot. Some lesser mixers may not be able to handle a high input level.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

But all sound systems are not created equal. A quality sound system running high end speakers, amps, compressors, limiters, etc. etc. etc. will have a very different response than a home built PA system. So, really, the louder the card, as long as it stays crisp and clean, the better, in my mind.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by tech tool View Post
    2. i already have traktor pro and my old decks - given that it's £100 more to buy traktor scratch duo rather than the audio 4 by itself i was thinking of buying the package and selling the copy of the scratch duo software and using the audio 4 + cables + control vinyl for when i want to have that vinyl feel - i assume the audio 4 will work fine with trakto pro correct?

thanks!
    Keep in mind you have to have something with Scratch in the name for timecode to work. Thats what you are paying for when you get a scratch version.
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    But all sound systems are not created equal. A quality sound system running high end speakers, amps, compressors, limiters, etc. etc. etc. will have a very different response than a home built PA system. So, really, the louder the card, as long as it stays crisp and clean, the better, in my mind.

They are definately not created equal but they should at least start with the correct gain structure regardless of the system processor being used.