serato-DJ... which cheap but stable laptop to use?
    Tech Convert

Default serato-DJ... which cheap but stable laptop to use?

Hi all,

I was wondering... shortly I'll have a pioneer-DDJ-SX with Serato-DJ...
    I want to buy a cheap but stable windows-7 based laptop for it...
    What do you recommend/use? I prefer DELL personally...

(I know the minimal requirements, however I'm curious what you use/recommend)

Thanks!!

Currently I use a 5-year old Macbook (C2D 2.4GHz 4GB RAM).

I bought a MBP same specs as above for £375. Far mire reliable than both my PCs

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I was wondering... shortly I'll have a pioneer-DDJ-SX with Serato-DJ...
    I want to buy a cheap but stable windows-7 based laptop for it...
    What do you recommend/use? I prefer DELL personally...
    Sounds like you answered your own question mate ..

Personally everyone is going to have their own opinions of what you should buy, half will be "your an idiot to use windows for DJ'ing" .. the rest will be a mixup of Dell, HP, Asus, Lenovo etc etc etc ...

You think Dell will work for you, then get a Dell, you don't need anything super duper uber specs to run Serato, but you do need to know how to optimize windows for performance, and spend the time doing so.

Tech Convert

I use lenovo e530c budget laptop. Latest i3 and 4gb of ram with windows 8. After optimization both Serato Dj & itch runs perfectly.
    I have ddj-s1 and tryed Serato Dj but went back to itch because it work better with my controller. Too much compromises with Dj vs. Itch.

Regarding RAM for your laptop, Serato DJ is a 32 bit application, RAM over 4gig isn't getting used. Still good to have just that it isn't going to necessarily help SDJ performance.

A major FYI IMO is that SDJ currently suffers from problems running out of memory when trying to load large libraries.

There is a ton written on it here:
    http://serato.com/forum/discussion/837589

In general the problem seems to be less acute on Macs and for this reason I would suggest to use a Mac if you possibly can.

Also, (getting a little off topic I know...) the file paths for your music files matters and current advice points to having all your music in a single folder if you can. This is the complete opposite of how I prefer to have itunes manage my music and put all music within its structure.