Total Control Pitch resolution Issue!?
    Tech Convert

Default Total Control Pitch resolution Issue!?

Has anybody else found that the pitch resolution in Traktor when used with a Numark Total Control is pretty shocking?? Mine skips approximately 0.8 every time i move the pitch slider (not matter how finely i move it)

I've tried right clicking on the + next to the pitch to change the setting there and this does nothing.. Am i simply being limited by my midi controller or is this a setting in Traktor?

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated as i'd prefer not to have to rely on sync to get the pitch spot on

Tech Wizard

what version of traktor are you using first

Midi control commands have only steps 0-127, so pitch slider skips values in -/+ 8% range. You can lower pitch range to make the slider more accurate. https://www.nativeinstruments.de/for...ad.php?t=85802

Tech Wizard

that said the issue is to not have the pitch skip some values ...

in order to do this you must use your jog wheels to fine pitch in traktor pro , it wil with a step of 0.01% that way.
    so assign the tempo to your jogs too , you can switch from bend/scratch to fine tuning with modifiers , it will be more accurate than a CDJ .

Tech Mentor

I had the same issue with the sliders. So I just assigned on of the endless rotaries for fine pitch, works great and when you have set that modifier anyway you can proceed to assign the other ones for track search, filters and key.

Tech Convert

Thanks for all your responses guys - I've never tried playing around with the midi mapping much in the past, instead relying on the standard maps supplied by djtt or NI... It is something that i really should have to a play with as the mappability is what makes midi controlled audio so diverse!!

I am currently running Traktor 3 (full version) - shortly, hopefully to be upgrading to Pro

I have actually managed to find a solution to the problem.. the resolution of the pitch slider can be controlled from:

Preferences - Deck Preferences - Transport - then the Pitch Range changed from 35% to 8%

... and the Fine Pitch Range wound down to 0

It was well hidden away, but after some digging on other forums i found someone with a simliar problem which got resolved by altering this!.. Unsuprisingly, this has now reduced the range i can mix between, so abit of playing with it to find a happy medium - and perhaps some playing with the maps to use the jog wheel to "fine tune" it might be in order.

Thanks again guys!! - aDiE
    Last edited by bR3AkBeAt_aDiE; 09-23-2009 at 06:07 PM.

we've yet to see a marketed controller (save the proposed otus raw) with a pitch fader long enough to do classical beatmatching justice. layered resolution via modifiers is a workaround, but it's hard to get into the mindset of pressing buttons to get tight.

short faders on controllers, as well as the subjectively disappointing touch slider on my otus, has fully converted me to the beauty and grace of traktor's sync.

perhaps it's for the better.

the eks xp5 and xp10 have 100mm pitch faders....
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

yeah! completely forgot about those. good catch. very good faders on those xp 5's and 10's.

Tech Wizard

it doesnt matter how long the fader is , what matters is the resolution.

some controllers , like the vci300 or the reloop controller 2 have 14 bit resolution pitch faders whereas the vci100 is 7 bit for exemple.

now with the jog wheel trick it doesnt matter , cause you can fine tune the tempo with it.