GoPro Live Stream - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Guru

thank you everyone for your help at first I was planning on streaming video from my GoProHero3 WIRELESSLY to my mac then upload to the Internet (live) but the problem is that when you connect the GoPro to the mac, you must join the wireless network the GoPro creates, which means you have to drop your wireless Internet connection. So I would have to do a wired setup which isn't that big of a deal.

Now I can either use a usb to composite cable or a mini HDMI to HDMI cable. Which would be the better option (I'm assuming HDMI) and what device would be the best option to connect the 2 GoPros to my computer.

I checked the links you posted deevey but it seemed like only one of them would connect to my computer via usb but its composite and I would need to buy 2 since there is two cameras. I'm looking for a plug and play solution GoPros > Interface > Macbook > Livestream
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    thank you everyone for your help at first I was planning on streaming video from my GoProHero3 WIRELESSLY to my mac then upload to the Internet (live) but the problem is that when you connect the GoPro to the mac, you must join the wireless network the GoPro creates, which means you have to drop your wireless Internet connection. So I would have to do a wired setup which isn't that big of a deal.

Now I can either use a usb to composite cable or a mini HDMI to HDMI cable. Which would be the better option (I'm assuming HDMI) and what device would be the best option to connect the 2 GoPros to my computer.

I checked the links you posted deevey but it seemed like only one of them would connect to my computer via usb but its composite and I would need to buy 2 since there is two cameras. I'm looking for a plug and play solution GoPros > Interface > Macbook > Livestream
    2x Go pro USB Composite Connectors > Composite Switcher box ($15) > Video Capture device ($40) > Livestream

I dont think there is a switcher/mixer with a built in USB Capture interface for as little money as the vestax, but I've been proven wrong before.

Like I said it would be far cheaper and more efficient to go the route of a few $20 security cams rather than go-pro's (unless you already have them) as you'll be downscaling your nice HD gopro feed to regular TV resolution anyhow with the USB composite cable

*correction: this "might" do it however you would need to use camtwist to select the video source and then output camtwist to livestream. There isn't alot of details on it unfortunately.
    Last edited by deevey; 08-28-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Tech Guru

I have really good results using 4 logitech C-920 cameras + wirecast + GrandVJ. However I only have 2 of the cameras hanging off the wirecast box. With this setup I can stream 1080P. If you do not own the GoPro's as of yet it might be worthy of looking at since these cameras are only about 80$ a piece.

Tech Guru

Well I already have the 2 GoPros one of them is mine and the other is my brothers so Im covered on cameras. If I didn't have them I would deff take the security cameras or the logitech cameras into consideration.

I was actually looking at the BlackMagic Intensity Extreme since it has 2 HDMI inputs since it would keep the cameras streaming in HD and I would just switch the video with camtwist and output camtwist to livestream but there are 2 problems...1 my macbook doesnt have a thunderbolt port and the other would be I rather spend less if possible

I was also looking at PCI Express cards maybe I can put one of them into an enclosure so I can connect it to my macbook but I would need to find the right one.

As of now Im considering the solution you gave me deevey since it would be cheap and fairly simple to setup but Im still looking around to see if theres any other solutions with better quality video. GeekGod whats the wirecast box you are talking about?
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

Don't get a switcher box unless you don't mind the signal jumping each time there's a change.

Worse comes to worse get a video mixer like a panasonic ave5 (I got mine for 50 bucks) or go the software mixing route like I mentionned in my previous post.

Tech Mentor

The Blackmagic Intensity boxes aren't switchers, they just have HDMI through connections (hence the 2 ports).

For switching you'll need the Atem range.

Hope you're wealthy.

Tech Guru

ya ill be going the software route as it'll be easier this way I can also use my webcam on my macbook so I can have 3 views. Im just looking for a box that has 2 HDMI ins

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

If you have HDMI, you don't want to convert to composite video (blech) and re-encode! Use the HDMI!

I use a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme with a Canon HF G10 (there's a G20 now), into my Mac via thunderbolt. Quality is great!

I stream using Wirecast (expensive, but awesome piece of software). I combine the video from the Canon camera, with the cameras on my Mac's and USB cameras. I also use a cool app called "Mobila Webcam", which lets me use the camera on my iPhone and iPad as a wireless webcam.

I don't know if you'll be able to stream from your GoPro wirelessly, I have the Hero 2 with Wifi Back. It would actually be quite cool with it's ultra wide lens.

The way the Mobila Webcam app works is there's an app on your iPhone, and a companion application for your Mac/PC. It appears in your broadcast software as any other web cam (a virtual driver).

It looks like Blackmagic now has the "Mini" single HDMI input, and I think you'll be able to use two at once (they are $137 a piece) for 2 inputs. I highly recommend their hardware, they have very strong driver support.

I had previously used CamTwist. Wirecast is MUCH better, CamTwist is great for free, but once your start to get into multiple sources and full HD, it starts to become a little cumbersom. Wirecast has tons of options for overlays, transitions, etc.

One thing to keep in mind, if you are going to be using HD sources, it becomes very CPU intensive pretty quickly. On my quad-core i7 MBP, things are pretty good, but it sucks up over 60% CPU using just the one HDMI and a few webcams. On my same vintage dual-core i7 13" MBP, it pegs the CPU pretty good.
    Last edited by Ryan Ruel; 08-30-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Tech Guru

"Mobila Webcam" looks like a great piece of software - going to check it out!

Agree 100% about wirecast - it's great software. I also use two of the black magic intensity pro cards w/ Wirecast and they work great so if you want to go the GoPro route this might be your best option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12