New To Digital DJ-ing. What To Do?
    Tech Wizard

Default New To Digital DJ-ing. What To Do?

Hello all. I am new to the site but certainly not new to DJ-ing.

I have been a member of a number of boards where the 'what set-up should I get?' posters get flamed. I'll try not to bore you too much and if you don't want to read a post of that nature, hit back now!

I have been DJ-ing about 5 years. Learned on turntables, switched to CD's about 3 years ago. Recently sold all my gear in search of digital bliss. My reason for a change is lack of motivation, I needed to make a change and I see digital DJ-ing as the future.

I have had Ableton Live 7 for around a year and am fairly comfortable at getting around it. I am starting to realise the full power of the program as I spend more time with it. I have never used it with midi controllers, only mouse and keyboard which was fine for learning the basics but I am now ready to move forward with it.

I am ultimately looking to get a macbook and APC40 set-up although I am currently working on a Windows laptop which actually runs Ableton quite well, provided nothing else is running! I want to try out a couple of midi controllers and have seen good deals on the likes of Faderfox LV2 and the Beringer BCR-2000. I'm thinking about investing in these cheaper controllers to get to grips with hands on use of the software.

I also understand that I need and external sound card for enhanced output so my sound system and for cue-ing tracks should I need to.

Can anybody point me in the right direction or give me any advice into taking this route?

Thanks,

PGB

Are you looking to get a DJ Controller? Most people here use, and will suggest the Vestax VCI-100. http://www.vestax.com/v/products/players/vci100.html

Also, check out this thread: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3545

That should answer a lot of your questions.

Welcome to DJTT!

Quote Originally Posted by PGB View Post
    I have been a member of a number of boards where the 'what set-up should I get?' posters get flamed. I'll try not to bore you too much and if you don't want to read a post of that nature, hit back now!
    Don't worry about that. I've never encountered any kind flaming on DJTT. Seriously. It's not one of those forums.

Actually I think you'll find DJTT devoid of any elitism.
    Last edited by Lambox; 09-23-2009 at 04:49 AM.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Wizard

The idea of that Vestax unit isn't really what I'm after.

I'm looking to be running up to 8 tracks in Ableton which are all EQ-able and effect-able.

That's why I was thinking the Faderfox LV2 for launching clips and controlling levels and something like the Beringer BCR-2000 for effects and anything else I decide to look into.

I see myself taking the half DJ / half performance approach if that makes sense. I have gone with Ableton over Traktor for that reason. Not taking anything away from Traktor. I have used it with timecoded vinyl and it really is great.

If you want cheap controls for now to try out then take a look at the korg nano series. There is a nano kontrol i think its called that has lots of knobs and faders for much cheapness about £50.00 i think.
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

The idea of that Vestax unit isn't really what I'm after.

I'm looking to be running up to 8 tracks in Ableton which are all EQ-able and effect-able.

That's why I was thinking the Faderfox LV2 for launching clips and controlling levels and something like the Beringer BCR-2000 for effects and anything else I decide to look into.

I see myself taking the half DJ / half performance approach if that makes sense. I have gone with Ableton over Traktor for that reason. Not taking anything away from Traktor. I have used it with timecoded vinyl and it really is great.
    My bad then. I guess that wasn't really clear from your initial post.

But anyway. That being the case I would suggest probably the APC40 and as MisterMoley suggested possibly the Korg NanoKontrol: http://www.amazon.com/Korg-nanoKONTR.../dp/B001H2P294

It's extremely inexpensive and should do what you want for now.
    LamboxMusic.com

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You could always go with a standard keyboard like the Remote SL series, and I think M-Audio has a competing line, or someone does with a similar line. What's your budget?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Budget for controllers is about £400. I'll pick up the APC40 in time I imagine but I wanted to use a basic controller first just to see mainly how my system handles. If it can't cope, I'll drop the cash on a macbook and get the APC40 at a later date.

After researching today, I think I'll go with a Korg NanoKontrol. Looks very cheap and flimsy but I think it will do the job.

Something I was interested in is mapping a 3 band EQ to it. Any idea how this could be done? Also, which is the best assignment to launch a clip? The button alongside the faders?

I use Ableton all the time. Just recently breaking into the Traktor world for remixing. I use an MPD32 and an MPD24. I like having two controls because it makes the layout bigger, and more stuff to play with. Anyways... both are solid controllers and would be more than adequate by themselves. For 8 tracks I would def say go with the 32. You have 8 faders and it looks and feels way nicer.

Something I was interested in is mapping a 3 band EQ to it. Any idea how this could be done? Also, which is the best assignment to launch a clip? The button alongside the faders?
    Yeah, the knobs should be assignable to pretty much anything. If you're using Ableton all you have to do is set up your EQ effect in Ableton, then go into MIDI learn mode, click on one of the EQ's (low, mid, high) and then move the knob you want to control it.

Repeat it for the other two, and your all set.

And yes, in this case you don't have a lot of choice as far as buttons to launch clips so probably you'd be using the ones next to the faders.
    LamboxMusic.com