Back to the basics...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Back to the basics...

I've got to say. I'm a little frustrated today... I've been mixing ALL vinyl here lately and I got the bright idea that I need to start to practice hamster style and better yet...LEFT handed.

I'm a righty so hamster style is an easier transition BUT I failed terribly when I tried with my left hand... I play violin so I know I have the coordination BUT I cannot get my brain switched off righty mode
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

I don't scratch, but if I did, I would want to switch the dominant deck from right to left.
    Used Record Shopper

Were you Goofed on them herbs?

If so....don't be when you practice.

I made that mistake...got nowhere fast.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Were you Goofed on them herbs?

If so....don't be when you practice.

I made that mistake...got nowhere fast.
    I play better tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by kwal
    I play better tbh.
    Ghost weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL View Post
    I've got to say. I'm a little frustrated today... I've been mixing ALL vinyl here lately and I got the bright idea that I need to start to practice hamster style and better yet...LEFT handed.

I'm a righty so hamster style is an easier transition BUT I failed terribly when I tried with my left hand... I play violin so I know I have the coordination BUT I cannot get my brain switched off righty mode
    Were you doing regular before or always hamster?
    2012 DMC Supremacy World Champ + IDA World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Ghost weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed...
    Not my first timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by Vekked View Post
    Were you doing regular before or always hamster?
    regular before... I'm not real far into scratching YET but after watching DJ's like yourself, qbert, and others alike it seems like hamster style is more efficient the more complex and faster the scratches get... it could just be me overcomplicating things like always... I would like to know how and be efficient in both styles RIGHT handed...
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL View Post
    regular before... I'm not real far into scratching YET but after watching DJ's like yourself, qbert, and others alike it seems like hamster style is more efficient the more complex and faster the scratches get... it could just be me overcomplicating things like always... I would like to know how and be efficient in both styles RIGHT handed...
    Nah hamster style is definitely not more efficient or anything. I know it might seems like that at first but hamster and regular are nearly identical... there are minor differences when you're starting out, but eventually you can do whatever you like no matter what was you scratch. There are guys like D-Styles, Ricci Rucker, Toadstyles, Deska, etc, who all scratch normal and are as fast and clean as anyone. Then Q-bert, Shortkut, Muzzell, I-Emerge who all cut hamster and are as fast and clean as anyone.

I highly recommend just doing either hamster or regular across everything you do... scratching, mixing, juggling, because the last thing you want is to have to switch back and forth from hamster to regular constantly. Although technically hamster and regular are both equal, regular has a huge advantage overall in that more DJs in general scratch regular, and it's easier to work with other people on the same set if you scratch/juggle the same as them. Like I juggle hamster and I've never been able to do x-men style juggling where they switch back and forth between each other because I think I've met 1 other person ever who juggles hamster, lol.

Scratching both right handed and left handed is definitely beneficial though, and I'd keep developing that, but yea not really necessary to scratch both regular and hamster. I totally went through the same phase though where I kept questioning whether hamster style was good because I couldn't stab clean and transforms were hard, and I was like "damn regular people just have to tap it with their pointer finger", but eventually my thumb got really fast and it just came down to practice. I think maybe feeling limited like that sometimes makes you over-compensate and practice harder at it, which can be a good thing.
    2012 DMC Supremacy World Champ + IDA World Champ

I feel much better... I think I will stick to regular scratch and just learn to use both hands... I have a habit of over complicating things

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast