RMX-1000 Tips and info
    Tech Wizard

Default RMX-1000 Tips and info

So I was able to borrow an RMX from a friend for the week and set it up and am just looking for some tips from those who use one. So far it just seems that the effects are extremely overpowering or at the other end of the spectrum.

Any of y'all who use an RMX have any tips.

Tech Mentor

Ellaskins explanations. Make sure you watch the other parts as well!
    And to see how some popular dj's use a rmx-1000:

Last edited by Student; 08-27-2013 at 09:25 PM.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Holy redlining the DJM in the second video. You'd think these professionals would be a little more careful about sound quality.

I just picked up the RMX-1000, it's really great. Very impressed with the sounds you can get out of it. It's much nicer to be "subtle" with it, whereas I find the typical DJM effects are really bold and in your face. You can do that with the RMX as well, but you don't have to.

Tech Guru

They are actually below the OVER indicator for most of the mix, not that it matters with the huge headroom though. Also 4 of the indicators above the green level are orange (optimal point is the 3rd orange LED) which is hard to make out in the video.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    They are actually below the OVER indicator for most of the mix, not that it matters with the huge headroom though. Also 4 of the indicators above the green level are orange (optimal point is the 3rd orange LED) which is hard to make out in the video.
    So what, it's not hard to turn the gain down to make it "green". Red and orange are wrong.

Tech Guru

The output from my DJM is actually quite low when everything is in the green. The onboard sound card on my computer is significantly louder when at 100.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

I know the DJM has a huge amount of headroom, for exactly this reason, DJ's used to redline the older DJM's and they would sound absolutely horrible (they didn't sound very good to begin with).

I have mine running into my Rane at the moment, running the inputs in the green, the master out needs to be up around +3 dB to basically equal the input gain of a deck into that mixer. At the club, I have almost always had to turn it way way way down from there (going into the amps).

Keeping on track with the RMX-1000... it's also easy to redline that device. If you put it in the effects loop of the DJM-900, you can click the "on/off" button of the effects section on the mixer (going to the external loop), and adjust the input/output knobs of the RMX-1000 so that the level "on" is the same as "off". That way, when you flip it on and off it's imperceptible to the listener. At these levels, you do need to keep the DJM channels in the green, or the level meters on the RMX are pretty much all red.

Again, it's all digital, with headroom, so while I haven't heard it clip or anything, I prefer to keep things in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel View Post
    So what, it's not hard to turn the gain down to make it "green". Red and orange are wrong.
    Actually, +4d is optimal for soundquality of djm newer series. (which is like 3 yellow leds). Atleast according to Pioneer!
    You can play well into the reds without getting distortion..

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel View Post
    .....Red and orange are wrong.
    Sorry but this just simply is not true.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Sorry but this just simply is not true.
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Why, would you ever want to run an audio product into the red? Unless you wanted to intentionally distort it?

Just because headroom was engineered into the product, it was designed with red lights to indicate to the user, they are doing something incorrect.

And with most mixers, particularly analog mixers, when they hit the red things begin to degrade very quickly.