Yes it's this questions yet again.....
    Tech Convert

Default Yes it's this questions yet again.....

OK so I know people are always asking what the best controller is and it's always dependent on their individual wants, so here are some wants of mine and I'm after some advice. I've been reading some of the threads and I know I'm in the right place!

Currently running Traktor Pro on a MBP and I'm looking for a suitable controller to cover two situations - at home and taking it out to a club. I use all 4 decks, with regular EQ-ing and fx

At home I love using my mixer, which has a great sound EQ-wise, so would only be looking for a controller for fx, loop, cue point & play control. I don't generally use a crossfader at all.

I'm about to play in a club for the first time using a digital setup (have been a vinyl DJ for 20 years) and the mixer I believe is only going to have two channels. Even if it does have 4 channels I don't relish the thought of having to mess around plugging in all the kit in a cramped DJ booth while the other DJ is still trying to play. So, having a controller that I can control all 4 decks, easy EQ & all fx etc etc seems an obvious choice, then I only have to cable in to one channel on the mixer.

I guess my question is, what would be a good choice to meet both requirements? I have a general idea about controllers and their capabilities, but have never actually used one. I was looking at the 1D but I like the standard bass/mid/treble pots configuration above the volumes sliders, which the 1D doesn't have. I also like to use EQ & fx at the same time, so don't want to constantly have to switch between configurations. I'm old and doddery now, so would probably get all kerfuddled.

Was looking at spending up to £200 but if I can find something that would suit both needs would pay more.

Sorry for the essay, but can anyone give me any pointers please?

Many thanks!

VCI-100 - would struggle for £200 though. This has dedicated effects section and standard eq feel as mentioned.

Only thing is the 4 deck situation involves a kind of shift button so it can get a bit confusing. Eans mapping does a pretty good job of making it as simple at possible though.

Other than that to get something that is straightforward in controlling 4 decks you would probably need to look at multiple controllers.
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Wizard

imho , take a xone 1D , and use an external mixer and a multiple output soundcard for volumes and eq , it is the best solution

@cagey

best bet would be VCI - 100 as stated! U can map the controls to your needs as u stated! And yes its a bit pricy, but trust me in the long run it will pay of!

Happy Mixing
    2x Technics M5G :: Traktor 3.4/PRO2 :: Vestax VCI-100
    M-Audio Ultra :: Macbook Pro 13" 2010

Tech Convert

Thanks guys, it seems that the popular recommendation from everywhere is the VCI-100, but somebody also mentioned holding out for the Vestax TR-1 which is due for release in October.

Has anyone seen or reviewed the TR-1 yet? It's more expensive than the VCI-100 but money's not really an issue if it's the best choice for my needs. I guess there certainly wouldn't be any TSI available for a while too?

Also, I've heard good things about the VCI-100SE and I know that the difference between the 100 & the 100SE is the firmware, so is it easy to flash yourself or do you have to know what you're doing?

So many choices....!

Quote Originally Posted by camus View Post
    imho , take a xone 1D , and use an external mixer and a multiple output soundcard for volumes and eq , it is the best solution
    agreed.

Tech Mentor

You could also go the Hercules/NanoKontrol/Pad route cheaper than a VCI100se and alot more control. Admittedly Ill be retiring the herc for a vci soon, but its been a fantastic combo for me. Ill miss it.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Tech Wizard

Yeah man, a tough one... THere are all kinds of controllers out there all varying with different features etc.

But like a few of us are saying, the VCI-100 sounds like the best solution for your needs. The toggling between your 3&4 decks is pretty simple with the videos that are supplied via the YouTube channel.

The X Zone 1D is a valid option as well but due to my lack of experience with the unit and my style of djing I do, i do not have a valid opinion for the controller (& money of course). If you can run across someone that has one set up like he likes it or with the TechTools mappings you would be supprised on how it might be a legit substitute!!

Maybe look into a return policy at a local store just so you can give it a shot?

I guess a last thing to remember... There is a good amount of us that are VCI fanatics!!! GOOO TechTools