KRK Rockit 5/6 worthwhile upgrade from ms40's? Also what soundcard?
    Tech Wizard

Default KRK Rockit 5/6 worthwhile upgrade from ms40's? Also what soundcard?

so i am trying to decide if its going to be worth it upgrading to the krks... also what soundcard do most people use with them? I planned on buying an audio 6 or audio 10 for vinyl and do they have TRS output? sorry but im a little clueless about pro setups like this.

Tech Guru

Speakers should usually be connected to your mixer, not your sound card.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Speakers should usually be connected to your mixer, not your sound card.
    i was thinking of that, as I have a DB2. but what if i just wanted to use a couple k2's? they only have RCA. also what about for audio production with maschine, iTunes, general use, etc. do i need two sets of speakers I kind wanted an all in one thing without have switch a ton of cables around? does this mean the mixer needs to be on 24/7?

Tech Guru

You can connect multiple devices to most monitors, so the mixer could go to the XLR speaker input and your computer/sound card could go to the RCA or TRS input.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Tech Wizard

I love my KRK 5s.

Hi frequencies are very crisp and it is very loud, I got 2 noise complaints for it and it was it even full volume.

Highly recommend it.

Also it doesn't matter which soundcard you use.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Mob Cat View Post
    i was thinking of that, as I have a DB2. but what if i just wanted to use a couple k2's? they only have RCA. also what about for audio production with maschine, iTunes, general use, etc. do i need two sets of speakers I kind wanted an all in one thing without have switch a ton of cables around? does this mean the mixer needs to be on 24/7?
    You can hook up the speakers to your sound card if you want to. I do a lot of multitrack recording, so I have my gear set up like this: -

Output of mixer -----> Line in on sound card
    Line/speaker out on sound card -----> Powered speakers/amp

There are 2 downsides with that setup though: -

1. If your computer is off, you get no sound from any of your gear.

2. You need a sound card that can do direct monitoring (ideally), otherwise it will introduce latency.

I used to have an Audio 6 and it worked fine - there was no noticeable latency when mixing or scratching. I would imagine the Audio 10 would work fine too, but I've never used one.

Tech Guru

Pretty much every mixer has multiple outputs so there's no need to chain the main output through a sound card. Main out directly to the speakers, and Rec/Booth out to your sound card for recording.

DB2 has a built in soundcard so just hook up the KRKs to that.

Just mix your vinyl as normal through the DB2... rip it if you want them as digital files...

Not sure of your problem?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.