EZF NY Cancelled - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62
  1. #41
    Tech Guru Kwal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    Yes it has. The drug of choice was just typically alcohol for what was a smell sect of the "mainstream top 40's" bar going individuals who got into electronic music. Now a lot of the high risk/low knowledge individuals from that party scene have moved over to the EDM scene and the scary word "drugs" is out in the open.

    The fact of the matter is that it's not that somehow drugs have become more a part of the culture, simply that the culture of EDM, which involves drug use much of the time, has become much more mainstream. Ergo, drug use has become more mainstream. Rave culture is now in the public eye because poor little Timmy and Tammy from their white, upper middle class, suburban neighborhoods are turning into Kandi Kids and can't handle themselves properly. Their parents are up in arms and naturally anytime ANYONE dies (unless you're a black or Hispanic male in his late teens/early twenties in the ghetto - sorry non sequitur) the entire populous gets involved to eradicate the non existent epidemic. Sorry but it's going to take more than one pretty white girl dying to convince me there is a real problem. Once it starts to affect the bourgeois it goes from an outlying concern to an immediate issue that needs to be addressed no matter if the issue actually exists or not. (I am neither poor nor a minority, this is just how I see it).

    Yes - as more people do something that has a remote chance of killing you - the absolute number of deaths will naturally increase at the rate at which the population of users increases. That's just basic math. Doesn't mean the underlying chance from use, of death, has increased and it doesn't meant people who did drugs as a ratio of those who don't have changed. It's simply the amount of people. Recency bias is a bitch and a half. No one ever talks about the kid who didnt die because he didnt do drugs and sat in a lawn chair all day sipping water and casually listening to music at the festival or rave.
    I like what you said, and I don't like what it's becoming. Plain and simple.

  2. #42
    Tech Guru ImNotDedYet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    I went to a rave 20 years ago when I was "a youngster" and there were plenty of things being done and passed around. I don't think the culture is/has changed a bit since then other than the overall culture is now more mainstream.

  3. #43
    Tech Mentor Frank112916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I like what you said, and I don't like what it's becoming. Plain and simple.
    I can respect that. Look, I am not speaking from a position of someone who has been in the rave culture (I don't really consider myself apart of that culture. I enjoy raves mostly because my friends enjoy going and it's brought us all as close as brothers TBH). I love the music, the dancing, and I just enjoy being around people who want to have a good time. I can honestly say I've never felt more welcome in a huge crowd of people than dancing at Ultra. People were incredibly nice and open. And yes, a lot of that was the candy, but a lot of it was just the entire ethos of many of the people who attend these events.

    I will say, seeing teeny bopping Kandi Kids at an 18+ club in Philly was an odd experience. I kept to alcohol, but obviously these kids couldn't drink, so they chose Molly.

    I still have to say, though, that I can understand wanting to be a part of SOMETHING. As a culture we have become so apathetic that seeing people embrace one concept and a like culture and move as one in a direction (albeit at times haphazardly) is really amazing. I am much more offended by the concert promoters who take advantage, selling Merch at marked up prices, $5 bottles of poland spring, and hiding the damn water fill stations, after taking your $400 (now $500) and making it as difficult as humanly possible to resell your tickets (cough Ultra cough cough), than I am with the drug use. At the very least, the current culture of drug use at festivals promotes peace, unity, love, and respect (yes PLUR) and not violence or hate towards others. Truth be told, the current mainstream EDM movement is highly inclusive and extremely progressive in its thinking - embracing people from all walks of life, cultures, race, sexual orientation and whatever else that may make you "different." Don't get me wrong, it doesn't completely defy the common social barriers we put up but it goes a long way to breaking them down. Maybe I just see the good parts and not the bad, but from the things I've seen, the direction is still very positive, and so is the overall vibe. Just my perspective.

  4. #44
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    70

    Default

    It's not just EDM too, so we cannot blame EDM for "Mandy" bc there are rap songs by tyga named "Mandy" and drug use and violence is in every type of music to a degree and visibility of it may be on two totally different levels. People like to take what they want to take no matter the legality of it, people drink under age, so that shows no one cares what laws are placed because they'll break them.. And btw one girl was found under a van with her clothes off..... They're trying to find the culprit... You think they'll find him? I highly doubt it, also the festivals owners shouldn't be sky
    Rocketing the prices of water to 5$ a bottle because when stuff like this happens they'll sure as hell lose more money on closing for a day than they would've by charging 3$ for a water so people won't feel strapped for money... The owners know what's going to happen and they honestly don't care, if it were about having a good time and doing it for the music they would make every festival people safe and friendly with reasonable prices, enough medical staff, adequate facilities for water and what not, and last but not least security... That girl getting raped never should've happened.... I never took any of these drugs nor do I do them, all I do is drink and when I go to festivals and shows I make sure I'm going to have a good time and not ruin it by making a stupid mistake because it looks like it sucks when the person has to leave early because they're sick or what not after spending so much money and not enjoying the rest of the night... But it's your life not theirs so do what you want and don't tell others how
    To live their life we have opinions but so does everyone else.. As long as no one is doing something to harm me or anyone I know ill let them do as they want.. Once again it's not
    My life decisions it's theirs... And I know I just went on a tangent and if It didn't make any sense don't get all heated or anything I'm just saying what I'm thinking were all on this forum to be part of a family and help each other out not to attack each other.

  5. #45
    Tech Guru sobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Mayor Defends Electric Zoo Founder After Deaths at Music Fest

    http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...-at-music-fest

    As a native New Yorker who lived there during the rise and fall of the first dance bubble, this is completely refreshing compared to the Blitzkrieg that Giuliani brought down on night life in the 90's
    Last edited by sobi; 09-03-2013 at 07:05 PM.

  6. #46
    Tech Guru AllDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    From The Okanagan. Canada!
    Posts
    1,182

    Default

    Anyone saying legalizing rave drugs wont help, look at Amsterdam, or any other country that legalized everything. Knowledge on the drugs are everywhere, the drugs are pure and deaths slow down because your actually doing the drug you wanted to do not METH.

  7. #47
    Tech Mentor shr3dder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Anyone saying legalizing rave drugs wont help, look at Amsterdam, or any other country that legalized everything. Knowledge on the drugs are everywhere, the drugs are pure and deaths slow down because your actually doing the drug you wanted to do not METH.
    The Netherlands haven't legalised everything. It's legal to buy pot, and even that is something that seems to be on it's last legs. If you go there and try buy something harder the cops will come down on you pretty hard.

    Portugal is a better example of decriminalising illicit drugs, and even that isn't legalising them it's just adjusting the penalties handed down for minor offences

    That said I agree with your point.

  8. #48
    Tech Guru sobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    I think most people with any sense realize that the war on drugs is a losing battle. That said, insisting that legalizing drugs is the answer is foolish and idealistic. We are talking about America here... a gallup poll found that 46% of the public thinks we just appeared here, in present form, from god, ignoring the science of evolution. Legalization ISN'T going to happen. We are just getting to the point of decriminalizing pot, and even that won't go full swing until all the politicians who have demonized it are completely gone from the political spectrum. Really, there is nothing that can be done. No matter how much we educate, we are going to break a few eggs along the way. These parties are all promoted as being THE best one you will EVER experience, and be LIFE CHANGING PARTIES. They should be. Promoters are supposed to hype the fuck out of a party. It's their job. With that image in a young patrons head, some of them who feel a little more invulnerable than the average person will take their partying overboard. It's going to happen, and there's nothing that can be done about it unfortunately. We're always going to have some idiot that thinks that since they normally take enough chemicals on a weekly basis to kill 2 normal people, that they'll be fine taking even twice that to enhance "the party of the year" that much more. Nature of the beast.

  9. #49
    Tech Guru 3heads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leipzig, Germany
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    Can we, as adults, please just admit that there are stupid people out there who make bad choices and end up dead? Then can we agree NOT to make decisions based off irrational emotions and instead based in science and statistics? I really hate how people here look down on drugs as something "other people" and "losers" use. Just because YOU don't enjoy taking drugs doesn't mean other people don't, and it doesn't mean that the people that do are bad people or incapable of enjoying the music drug free. The holier than thou attitude needs to stop because you decided to make a different life choice than someone else. Not everyone who does drugs is a sketchball who steals things to pawn so they can support their habit. Molly is not chemically addictive, not especially dangerous - less so than alcohol. Lets not rush to conclusions and start getting judgy and preachy. FYI Kaskade is a Mormon, of course he doesn't believe in taking drugs.
    I fully agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    A typical dose is .2 grams so I'm guessing 1.2 of very pure and highly serotogenic MDMA.
    While I know that this might be pushing the boundaries of what is allowed to be discussed on here, but please don't spread misinformation. 0.2 grams is certainly not a typical single dose of MDMA, a typical dose is much less than that (especially without a tolerance).
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

  10. #50
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mechanicville NY
    Posts
    295

    Default

    wow an actual article that doesn't sensationalize the events of the past few days. Now if everyone could actual have a converstion like this we might actually get some reform.

    http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_n...her-drugs?lite

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •