Windows OS vs Apple OS
    Tech Convert

Default Windows OS vs Apple OS

Hello all
    Have been trying to use traktor version 2.6.3 for the last few days on a hp tx 2000(i know crap specs) with poor results from latencymon. Cpu throttling (HP bios does not allow editing)and the inablity to trace or shut off problematic drivers ,i have followed the dubspot optimisation of windows 7 feature and still was getting spikes in cpu relating to ntkrnlpa.exe, ACPI.sys etc.
    I have been a big hater of apples high prices for years and still am, but im starting to think running a hackintosh laptop(not on hp tx 2000) may be a more cost effective solution, as the apple os from what ive heard seems to be more stable for audio.Not trying to start a big apple vs pc war again(sick of them tbo),how about a normal Apple OS vs Windows OS for audio discussion instead.

You can fix the ACPI spikes by removing the battery from your laptop and running off the mains.

I am NOT joking.

I can't help you with ntkrnlpa.exe, though. It looks like a System Process. Maybe try running a Registry Cleaner and seeing if that helps? There are tons of free registry cleaners - and they do a LOT of good if you run them regularly.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Thanks for the reply
    There were other drivers that were causing issues too, ive just used those as examples. I had disabled the battery ACPI driver.Ataport.sys caused problems too and even USBPORT.sys(disabling usb hubs did stop this, not the most practical solution with a controller) Will try a registry cleaner and see what happens.
    I even reinstalled windows 7 and disabled updates to see if it was causing issues with the same results. Cpu throttling and the inability to edit the bios was frustrating to say the least .I had optimised performance in control panel also.
    Overall it seemed to me like a newer laptop with more ram and better proc that would allow more headrooom to deal with cpu spikes as a result of drivers on the windows 7 os.This is why in have included the idea of using the apple os on a non apple laptop(costs) as a possibility for the stability issues i have encountered.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You can fix the ACPI spikes by removing the battery from your laptop and running off the mains.

I am NOT joking.

I can't help you with ntkrnlpa.exe, though. It looks like a System Process. Maybe try running a Registry Cleaner and seeing if that helps? There are tons of free registry cleaners - and they do a LOT of good if you run them regularly.
    I'd be more inclined to streamline a Windows laptop rather than go the route of a Hackintosh for performance. Unless you are happy with potentially needing to update basic drivers n' stuff manually and not necessarily being able to run the latest versions of OSX.

I did it before just for proof of concept and being able to show off a netbook running an OSX, But honestly after a few painful glitches after updates I just couldn't be arsed anymore (and the machine was almost 100% compatible already as everything apart from the LAN already had drivers).

One of the reasons OSX is so stable is that its written for a very small sub-set of machines, start chucking it on something it was not designed for and you lose the reliability and benefits of OSX in the first place.

Mac Owner User / Windows User / Previous PC service Tech / Previously Hackintosh Hobbiest

Mac Owner User / Windows User / Previous PC service Tech / Previously Hackintosh Hobbiest p
    = experience.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Guys, bare in mind that discussion of how to create a Hackintosh is not allowed on the forum.

Tech Convert

After optimising windows 7 i also used msconfig to boot with as little processes running as possible http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=188396 for anyone interested.
    Thanks again for the advice
    Last edited by purebokety; 09-03-2013 at 04:12 PM.