Tips for beginners! (Me)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Tips for beginners! (Me)

Long story short I have been mixing on a mixtrack pro and vdj pro 7 for about 8 months and I just recently purchased an S4, I was reading someone that you should never touch the cross fader and only transition between songs by the volume controls? Is that true? I have always done the cross fader but I could never get those instant crosses that sound like nothing was changed. I just want to be able
    To mix smoothly and make it sound good! Please give me some tips!! Thanks DJTT!

Tech Mentor

It is ultimately up to personal preference. I was a level fader guy exclusively, until I recently went with two turntables and a Z2. I've been on the crossfader ever since and never looked back.

That said, certain genres can be more inclined to one method over the other. Many trance/tech house/electro DJs will mix with the level faders, as it typically allows for more even blends, and also makes it a bit easier to keep track of which channel is which when mixing with more than 2 decks. On the flip side of that, hip-hop and turntablists will focus a lot of use on the crossfader, as the genre typically includes a lot of scratching, beat juggling, etc. which is generally easier to do with the crossfader.

At the end of the day though, these are guidelines only. You should mix with whatever you feel the most comfortable with, and whatever helps your mixes sound the best.

Also, what do you mean the instant crosses where nothing has changed? Smashing the crossfader from one side to the other, especially when mixing any kind of house music, is more than likely going to sound like sh!t.

Congrats on the S4!
    Last edited by DJ Sunshine; 09-04-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

I use the crossfader, but primarily to turn off one deck while I cue/beatmatch. I rarely use the crossfader to transition as I use eqs and filters primarily to bring in sections of the music in the new track while the old track is fading out. The only time I use the crossfader to transition is when I transition full on into the new track straight from a break or drop, and I use the crossfader because I'm old and old habits die hard. I also prefer the crossfader so I don't accidentally give too much or too little volume to the incoming track since I save some headroom on the volume levels.

Do what works for you, just make it sound good and smooth.

Tech Guru

Do whatever you're more comfortable with. The general rule of thumb is that volume faders are better for smoother mixing and the crossfader is rather used for quick cuts.

Tech Wizard

Sorry but that's utter BS.... don't touch the crossfader? It's your box, your set, your crowd, do whatever sounds good and works. I don't have the cf full left or right much but more for balancing track levels during mixes, it's just another tool at your disposal. What are people so afraid of??

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    It is ultimately up to personal preference. I was a level fader guy exclusively, until I recently went with two turntables and a Z2. I've been on the crossfader ever since and never looked back.

That said, certain genres can be more inclined to one method over the other. Many trance/tech house/electro DJs will mix with the level faders, as it typically allows for more even blends, and also makes it a bit easier to keep track of which channel is which when mixing with more than 2 decks. On the flip side of that, hip-hop and turntablists will focus a lot of use on the crossfader, as the genre typically includes a lot of scratching, beat juggling, etc. which is generally easier to do with the crossfader.

At the end of the day though, these are guidelines only. You should mix with whatever you feel the most comfortable with, and whatever helps your mixes sound the best.

Also, what do you mean the instant crosses where nothing has changed? Smashing the crossfader from one side to the other, especially when mixing any kind of house music, is more than likely going to sound like sh!t.

Congrats on the S4!
    Yeah idk I hear mashes and mixes where there will be one song and then the next Song drops right after the build up with no stoping or pauses and its so smooth and sounds great and thanks for the tips and thank you I hope I love this mixer!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    I use the crossfader, but primarily to turn off one deck while I cue/beatmatch. I rarely use the crossfader to transition as I use eqs and filters primarily to bring in sections of the music in the new track while the old track is fading out. The only time I use the crossfader to transition is when I transition full on into the new track straight from a break or drop, and I use the crossfader because I'm old and old habits die hard. I also prefer the crossfader so I don't accidentally give too much or too little volume to the incoming track since I save some headroom on the volume levels.

Do what works for you, just make it sound good and smooth.
    I have to figure out how to properly beat match and I was watching a video on the s4 and do you really need to set up every track like Ean did? With the jog wheel and that certain mapping? I just didn't understand that whole
    Thing.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post
    Do whatever you're more comfortable with. The general rule of thumb is that volume faders are better for smoother mixing and the crossfader is rather used for quick cuts.
    This is what Im going to try to master and I hope i don't get stuck on cf

Tech Wizard

Just take your time, practice at home and LISTEN to your mixing. Try everything and then some. If you note that some trick works well and sounds good, it can't be really wrong. And if you mess up, well, you're the only one who hears it. Just learn from it. Even on occasional gig, if (/when) you mess something up (everyone does, really), just learn your lesson and move on

And for that instant cut/dropping thing, it works with some tracks really nice; but house tends to sound better when blended in smoother. Know your music, know which songs play well together.

Also don't confuse mashups made in studios with live mixing. Live mashupping (if that's even a word) tends not to sound very good.
    CMD MM-1 - CMD PL-1 - Traktor Kontrol X1 Mk2 - Traktor Kontrol F1 - NI Komplete Audio 6/Traktor Audio 2 Mk2
    My setup history
    Mixcloud page

Quote Originally Posted by KarbonNY View Post
    I have to figure out how to properly beat match and I was watching a video on the s4 and do you really need to set up every track like Ean did? With the jog wheel and that certain mapping? I just didn't understand that whole
    Thing.
    I don't use his mapping when I beatgrid and setup cue points and loops. I just do it manually. His way may be a bit quicker, but it's just as easy to do without it IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast