Whiich is better? Mixed in Key or Traktor Key detection
    Tech Wizard

Default Whiich is better? Mixed in Key or Traktor Key detection

Hi All

Im trying to get a concensus here on which of the two is better. Quite often the Mixed in Key analysis does not match the Traktor Analysis. Ive tried to figure it out for myself but I find that if I decide to use Mixed in Key I get the occasional bad match, but if I switch to the Traktor Key detection I can get some to match that Mixed in Key gets wrong but then others dont match!! Its pretty maddening, Im tending to fall on the side of Mixed in Key though but it would be great to see what others think.

Mo

KeyFinder ftw
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

mixed in key is better than traktor according to some tests i found. keyfinder is a very good free alternative
    HP Pavillion 17" , i7 core 2nd gen, 8Gb ram / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Ableton Live suite 8 & 9 / Traktor Kontrol S4 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / 2x Numark TT200 / Hercules DJ Console RMX / Akai MPD24 / Evolution MK425C / Evolution UC33 / Sennheiser HD215 / M-Audio Audiophiles BX5A active monitors

Tech Wizard

Yeah theres always alternatives but I aint going that road. So its a toss up between Mixed in Key and the Native one, its just every time I settle on one, i start to doubt it (I'm talking here about maybe 1 in 7 tracks that may not seem to be correct.)

Tech Mentor

tested a lot of different key finding software. And each of them isnīt perfect!! keyfinder, MIK and rekordbox give sometimes different keys for the same tracks. Even when I have duplicates of tracks the softwares are saying that they have different keys... I know itīs frustrating. So Iīm stuck on only one key finding tool otherwise it would make me made. I use rekordbox and change the found keys into open keys and write it into the comments. Canīt say anything about traktorīs key finding because Iīm still using TP1.2.7.

My tip would be, stay with traktorīs key finding feature. NI will continue to improve that feature and they have the approach to do it as perfectly as possible. And this way round you wonīt need extra programms.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    KeyFinder ftw
    yep. way beter than either

http://www.ibrahimshaath.co.uk/keyfinder/
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsul View Post
    My tip would be, stay with traktorīs key finding feature. NI will continue to improve that feature and they have the approach to do it as perfectly as possible. And this way round you wonīt need extra programms.
    That's a good point and will probably sway me towards using it exclusively. I know lots of people mention Keyfinder but I want to try and reduce my software footprint.

Cheers
    Mo

Keyfinder is a pretty lightweight app, and it's free... you also only need to tag your mp3's every time you buy a cart of songs so having an extra app to analyse tracks isn't a huge deal IMHO.

As for the accuracy, even if it's not 100%, it's just a tool to help plan out track selection a little better. Do you not drop the needle in the middle of the incoming track and preview it before you decide to mix it in?