Traktor Z2 and X1 Questions

Default Traktor Z2 and X1 Questions

Hey people first time on this forum have to say liking it so far. Have read and learned alot from here.

Just have a quick question. I was in Ibiza and have only came back the last few days and I noticed that some of the DJ's didn't use CDJ's or vinyl they were using traktor X1 mk2's and a 4 channel mixer. I never thought of doing that or heard of people doing it. Now in the last few months I have really been getting into DJing and have been using my friends DDJ- Errgo for practice and I'm decent but would love to have my own gear. I've been shopping around for gear and have been thinking of getting 2 traktor X1 mk2's and a traktor Z2 mixer with traktor scratch pro and remapping 4 of the nobs on each X1 mk2 to control EQ and gain for that deck (fx=gain, fx1=high, fx2=mid and fx3=low), and leaving the other 4 as they are. Now I know someone will say just get a DJM 850 but I cant afford any Pioneer mixer that is 4 channel and has USB for traktor.

So here is my question.
    If I was to connect 2 X1 mk2's to a Z2 mixer and remap 4 nobs (fx=gain, fx1=high, fx2=mid and fx3=low) on each X1 mk2 to control EQ and gain like on a mixer, would it work since the Z2 mixer is a 2+2 mixer and can control 4 channels?

I dont see why this setup would not work since there both native instrument products and all I'm changing is the fx nobs.

Thanks for the help in advance

Tech Guru

You could get a Z1 instead of the 2nd X1?

If you're going the controller/MIDI route you could just get a 4 channel MIDI mixer like the CMD MM-1, as the timecode and external mixing features of the Z2 are a waste of money in your case.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You could get a Z1 instead of the 2nd X1?
    I was thinking that, but I want something I can bring to parties and events and a Z1 is only 2 channel I actually need at least 3 channel's. Also in the future I may pick up Stanton STR8 since there's about 300 disco vinyl from the 70s and 80s. So that's some of the reasoning behind the Z2 aswel, but mainly the fact it' made for traktor.

Tech Guru

I mean you could add a Z1 to your Z2 and have the option of 4 channels, as well as being able to connect up to two turntables to the setup.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Oh I get you now. I have decide to just get a djm 800k since it's 4 channel out of the box and USB.

but would 2 X 1's as decks work.

If you have the capital I'd get the z2, (assuming you eventually want time code) it also has the bonous of coming with a sound card

now the cmd mm1, an X1, and whatever soundcard will also be a great choice.

Here's a useful hint, really consider if you NEED 4 channels. I know alot of like to have them because when we gig it's an easy central piece or if we want to add more things it's great. However alot of the time (unless you're extensively looping yada yadda) you wont actually be using 4 channels. Instead you might have a remix deck or some other things going on.

TLDR: Actually consider if you're going to need 4 channels, it might sound nice now but not be use as often.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Pavin View Post
    Here's a useful hint, really consider if you NEED 4 channels. I know alot of like to have them because when we gig it's an easy central piece or if we want to add more things it's great. However alot of the time (unless you're extensively looping yada yadda) you wont actually be using 4 channels. Instead you might have a remix deck or some other things going on.

TLDR: Actually consider if you're going to need 4 channels, it might sound nice now but not be use as often.
    THIS. Most of the guys that have 4 channels typically only use the 3rd for loops and samples, and rarely even touch the 4th deck. This can all be accomplished with the remix decks.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

I'm running a Z2 and an X1

I run my timecode vinyl through my Z2 as normal, and decks C & D through the Z2's dedicated C&D knobs for volume
    I remapped my Z2 so that when I hold down the orange cog button (top middle of the mixer) that it acts as a shift button, so when I hold that, I get a lot of the deck A/B functions but for C/D:

COG + Left Loop Encoder - Deck C Tempo Adjust
    COG + Left Loop Encoder Press - Deck C Tempo Reset

COG + Right Loop Encoder - Deck D Tempo Adjust
    COG + Right Loop Encoder Press - Deck D Tempo Reset

COG + Left Sync - Deck C Sync Toggle On/Off
    COG + Right Sync - Deck D Sync Toggle On/Off

COG + Left REL/INTL - Deck C Pause/Play Toggle
    COG + Right REL/INTL - Deck D Pause/Play Toggle

COG + Any Gain or EQ on LEFT side of mixer will control Deck C functions
    COG + Any Gain or EQ on RIGHT side of mixer will control Deck D functions

COG + Left Filter - Filter for Deck C (see below)
    COG + Left FX1 - Deck C Filter On/Off Toggle

COG + Right Filter - Filter for Deck D (see below)
    COG + Right FX1 - Deck D Filter On/Off Toggle

COG + LEFT Load (orange A button) - Load Selected Track From Library into Deck C
    COG + RIGHT Load (orange B button) - Load Selected Track From Library into Deck D

so technically I can control all 4 decks with only a single X1 and Z2
    Not sure if that helps you get some insight on how it might work for your needs, but I figured I'd share

Tech Wizard

That is an excellent mapping idea. Definitely going to have to steal that! I'm wondering what your experience with the pick up is though? Like when you release the cog and then adjust say, channel A's eq's after adjusting channel C's eq's? What happens then?

I normally don't have any issues since I'm not having a lot of decks live at once, but now that I think of it, if I wanted to run multiple decks live and adjust lets say deck A and C eq's (left half of my mixer) there might be a jump if I dropped the Bass on Deck C then tried to adjust deck A (not vice versa though since I have my settings mapped to soft take over). I guess I could alter the A/B decks to do soft takeover too but ehhhhhhh, I have no need at the moment.

But another option would to as you said just map the X1 as a second set of EQ's.
    If you wanted to retain the X1 functions for FX and such you could probably map them under the midi mode instead of over the NI's standard mode so you'd have 2 X1's in one pretty much