Best midi controller combination for controlling 4 decks
    Tech Convert

Default Best midi controller combination for controlling 4 decks

Hey guys,
    I've been wanting to use 4 decks with traktor for a while now. I've gone through many midi controllers and still havnt found my niche yet.

So which combination of controllers do you guys recommend or think is the best to control 4 decks?

I'm sure we all know that a xone 4d would be the ultimate controller but i dont have $2500. I was thinking maybe 2 vci100s and a nano pad or something?

Let me know!
    Louder than the sound.

Tech Mentor

good idea if you have the money for two.
    there is also a behringer mixer that as I read can be switched to do midi control on all channels, which combined with a vci or the eks xp line would be a neat cheapish alternative for 4d

Tech Guru

I like the 2xVCI+Nanopad idea. I use one VCI with a bunch of shift layers for 4 deck control, but I'm not a big fan of the one knob/multiple decks design. You could look at some of the other Vestax midi controllers - the VCM-600 is wicked. Lately I've been working on a 4 deck interface for the Akai APC40, which is turning out to be pretty nice - though I've gotta admit it's taking a lot of creative thinking to get it operating the way I want. I think it's gonna shape up to be a good one though.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

2 otus, nuff said
    but u need an external mixer thou, but imo that's not an issue as most place have 1 if ur playin out
    Last edited by other1; 09-24-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

Tech Mentor

Default *nods*

2x VCI-100 work wicked. And with the 1.2.1 update they're easier to manage.

But don't bother using anyone else's mappings and duplicating to a different channel: you're best off just building the MIDI assignments from scratch.

Also need to set soft takeover for the two crossfaders, unless you assign one for modifying a different parameter or http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?p=580182

Tech Convert

Thanks for your replies!

I really dig the vci600 but i would like to have a separate jog wheel for each deck. I pretty much want each deck to have its own dedicated everything instead of having to shift and substitute anything. I guess in that case the xone 4d wouldnt even fit my needs haha. I think i might try out 2 vci100 se.
    Louder than the sound.