Licking headshell contacts, what's a good solution?

Default Licking headshell contacts, what's a good solution?

So I always have trouble getting a calibration signal, until I lick the contacts of my headshell (I know I know, bad idea in the long run), at that point I get a nice clear signal and am good to go..

both my headshell contacts and the contacts inside the tonearm's are nice and bright and super clean, golden beauty I must say.. but I'm not sure why it takes that bit of moisture to get a good clean contact going. I don't want to keep having to do this because I know how bad it is for your contact prongs...

Thus leading me to this post... what's a good way to fix this situation? Any types of lubricants or cleaners, D.I.Y., or at home solutions to get these prongs transferring a good clean signal?

Sometimes the springs behind the contacts just need a little flexing, and I've had reasonable success with an eraser pencil which just happens to fit right in the tonearm. Carbon fiber brush pens get a few votes here and there too, they're probably more efficient but harder to come by.
    I was wondering about getting a tiny spray like I have for carrying record cleaning fluid to gigs and filling it with WD40 for this (and also unlocking the height adjust) but I wouldn't feel too comfortable spraying stuff on venue/rented gear.
    Looking forward to reading what others have to add!

sometimes you just gotta lick it before you can make contact...

The old ways always get the job done.

Tech Wizard

Reminds me of using a pencil eraser on the contacts for the slot car tracks we had as kids
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    Denon MC6000, Dual HP laptops, EV LIve X tops and sub.
    Technics 1200mkII

Tech Mentor

A new flat pencil eraser is what I use.

"Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Wizard

Deoxit Pen

In a pinch, pencil eraser. Got time, alcohol and a pencil eraser. Don't lick your contacts, it works for the time, but it's bad for your contacts. We have all done it, just dont.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

You guys are answering a question the OP never asked... what is going on in here? lol. Yes, a pencil is a good tool to clean off your contacts if they are dirty. He said his are clean though.

As for improving your contacts, Deoxit will work good as someone mentioned earlier. Marine grade electrical contact sprays will work well too.