CDJ/Vinyl Fallback

Default CDJ/Vinyl Fallback

I have recently upgraded to Traktor Pro and have a VCI-100. Have always been using Traktor, so I don't have any experience using vinyl or CDJ.

I've been thinking though that this is a serious limiting factor in terms of flexibility, plus knowing how to mix using CDJ's is handy as an emergency fallback.

To fix this I've been practising beatmatching with the VCI100 by hiding the waveform, phase and the BPM displays. But would like to actually get a pair of CDJs and a mixer, but haven't a clue which one would suit my need.

I'm looking for as low budget setup as possible, as it's just for backup, and I don't think I'll be buying TPro Scratch any time soon. I mainly play electro, house and it's other variations and don't scratch. What would you recommend?

As far as CDJ's go I read that numark axis 9's are the way to go, but I'm afraid that if I learn on those when I get to a club it's going to be completely different. Or should I get a couple of cheap turntables and Traktor Scratch for timecode (and about the same price as a CDJ setup) and learn using that?

Thanks, and sorry if it's been asked before but search was of no help.

Hey alex. Thats a good idea to practise manual beatmatching in traktor, by hiding the phase meter. I also use the sync button for something else now instead, so have no choice but to ride those faders and wheels. You could leave the bpm reading on tho, most cdj players have them thats no biggie. I would go for the cdj & mixer setup if i were you man.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Yeah, I also realised that even though decks are cheaper initially I'd have to build a vinyl collection as my plan of using TPro Scratch was stupid. The whole point was to still be able to mix if Traktor freaks out on me.

But what I can't decide on is which CDJ to get. If I get the axis 9 and learn on those, yeah I will have basic skills. But when it comes to using a club standard CDJ like the pioneer 1000, its a totally different beast. Although I guess I could figure out how to use the main features quite easily anyway, without using a CDJ before, so long as I could beatmatch :S

Thats right, the basic skills are the same, just getting to grips with each bit of equipment is the thing.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

This is a pretty good idea. And you say the Axis 9 is a good CD player to look at?

+1 for you, my friend. +1 for you.

Edit: After looking at amazon a little bit, it appears you can get the Pioneer CDJ-200 for only 50 or so dollars (US) more than the Axis 9. Worth the extra 50 dollars?
    Last edited by Segfault; 09-25-2009 at 02:42 AM.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Wizard

Without a doubt the pioneer CDJ200 is worth the extra cash.

The only limitation is that the pioneer does not have vinyl emulation. So if you want to scrach / backspin etc. then these aren't for you.

For me, as a DJ who does like to scracth occasionally, I would get the pioneers anyway for the build quality and standard layout. Sometimes you have to make a compromise.

I moved to itch not too long ago for more of a traditional feel. There are no auto features in itch. Alternatively, you could always do a traktor scratch poor setup. or just get one of those prepackaged "battle packs" and get a few records.
    Numark NS7 | Asus U81A - C2D 2.1ghz 4gb 320gb | Serato Itch | Traktor Pro | Homework Help