Just spit balling here but what if there were a DJTT school...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just spit balling here but what if there were a DJTT school...

I was thinking about this the other day when some people asked me about djing and I just told them to check out the DJTT blog and forums. Then I came to realize that there are a ton of resources online, youtube, djtt, digitaldjtips, but finding the information you want when starting is so cluttered and difficult. If someone were to say I use to dj back in the day on vinyl but have no idea about software and mapping. I really want to learn, of course I would send them here but then what? Tell them to dig around, or search the forum and ask? I mean you all know how derailed topics can get on the forum. Of course Mad Zach and DJTT staff and contributors really help with tons of great content, but its not organized in any ways. Many times we also assume or readers have all that knowledge built prior with ableton or traktor or whatever. Everyday we get someone on the forum asking the easy questions only to get ridiculed off by some not helpful members, or directed in a very aggressive way to the search button. Why not just have a section dedicated to learning?

I guess my thought were say a dedicated tutorial section with staff updates that are categorized with curriculums. It would start out small probably with articles and tutorials already uploaded by staff. Then say there would be additionally courses that would be uploaded by users, and of course ranked. DJTT tutorial might guide say the beat matching section with a simple beat matching video, but then user would upload their tips and tricks. This would go from beginner all the way to advanced or pro fitting neatly into sections. There would even be a buying gear section, hooking it up section, trouble shooting section. Bad content would be down voted until removed, and good content would go up. Eventually it would get into neat tricks and tips that people do with their gear but to start out the basics is needed. Hell it could even go to legit courses held online for medium to advanced learning that could even eventually be paid for courses paying out the instructor and DJTT. This could especially work well for people who can't afford to do dubspot, but just want some instruction on a particular topic.

Anyways thats what I was thinking about last night, maybe its a bit ambitious but I think it would help the community grow immensely. Help budding djs learn faster and easier, and also get DJTT huge exposure to the new young audience.

maybe an introduction "area" where there are tutorials and videos? A collection of all the stuff to help you get started so you don't have to wade through all the junk and bad advice?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

There's MacProVideo, Pyramind, Point Blank, and others which have Traktor and Ableton content for much cheaper than Dubspot.

Tech Mentor

It sounds like a good idea, I used to dj with vinyl about 10 years ago, then life got in the way, sold all my gear etc. and then a couple of weeks ago bought a numark mixtrack pro II, I found that mixing is still the same as it ever was, except its a bit easier now if you want to use sync etc. and I've done enough audio production and midi with cubase etc. that mashing buttons in time with a beat is nothing new :-)

I was talking to my son earlier who is keen to learn but said that amount of buttons and controls is a bit overwhelming to start off with, he'll be fine once we've had a few sessions but it would be better if he could pick this up from videos. I think the main issue either of us will have is to decide which software is suitable for our musical tastes and mixing styles. I'm keen to learn how to use a midi fighter, I'm quite struck with stuff like araabmuzik and really like the random musical styles that I've seen in Ean's videos, so these are the kinds of issues that fighter/digital dj noobs are going to need resolved.

I think the idea of a seperate locked area with just the 'school' stuff in it is a good idea, backed up with a sub-forum for people posting videos etc. but it would also need organising, would djtt host the videos via youtube? you don't want content disappearing, I've noticed that's quite a problem on the forums as it is, lots of dead links to old posts which I'm guessing got lost in a migration.

How about just a forum called "learning"
    Highly moderated, only help, no bullshit.
    Any beginners can post there without being lit up by the few trolls around
    Stupid questions allowed. What should I get?

This makes the forum very conducive to beginners learning, and keeps all of the overly newb questions off of general discussion.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    How about just a forum called "learning"
    Highly moderated, only help, no bullshit.
    Any beginners can post there without being lit up by the few trolls around
    Stupid questions allowed. What should I get?

This makes the forum very conducive to beginners learning, and keeps all of the overly newb questions off of general discussion.
    This is a good idea. Didn't gearslutz do this?

If DJTT starts a DJ school, I'll give classes on how to either win or bring arguments to a stalemate on internet forums.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Probably the latter though
    2007 Macbook Pro
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Here's a better idea, what if DJTT with their new place and all was to have small jam sessions etc. Then possibly branch out into clubs/take over one.

Similar to Low End Theory

Mods, who do we talk to about adding another section to the forum? PM? I have ideas lol
    2007 Macbook Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast