Creativity/Inspiration vs Workflow

Default Creativity/Inspiration vs Workflow

What is more important in your eyes production wise ?
    Ive been into Reason 4(rewired into Ableton Live) for about 3 years now. Ive noticed i have a nice flow in Reason, but when it comes to Ableton i still get lost. When im feeling inspired i notice that alot of the time, i get an idea, and i may not know how to do it(fx or modulation wise) and when i start trying to figured it out...BAM!..inspiration is lost. and vice versa...

Which do you focus on more? Being creative first and then finding you niche in mix down?
    Or just mastering Ableton into a smooth workflow....then focus on the creativity.

I think you work out your workflow in the process of being creative

So creativity first followed by workflow, if your concentrating on your workflow all the time you will never get anything done.

As your produce more and more you will learn how to get the sounds that are in your mind into the program quicker and quicker - stick with it and it will eventually get easier and your creativity wont be hampered by the time it takes to get your ideas into the program.

Tech Guru

yeah i chose my preferred software based on it's quick and easy workflow. I know the ins and outs of the software like the back of my hand so it doesn't make any sense for me to master other softwares. I'm not a gear head guy, I just like creating art.. as far as I'm concerned all the technical side of producing is a hassle.

I use synapse orion platinum 7, i've been using the Orion software for about 8 years or so.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 09-25-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Tech Wizard

well i wrote up this elaborate response earlier and left my computer for to long and I lost it...

But short and sweet, i was saying that I live with a dude that is PT certified and his workflow is pretty trimmed up, and also watching guys on YouTube and Future music videos... they are all so fluent on their DAWS, it makes me wonder the same thing as you are thinking. Do i just start concentrating on just mastering my DAW or do i just create and learn as i go??

Hard to say in my opinion, but I like trying to focus on the technical side of things first then trying to get your sound down. Reason being is that you start disecting music that is released and say to yourself... Hey I know what they are doing, i should just go sit down and make that right now... But if you don't have the technical knowledge you going to be in a bit of hard spot when your trying to create that synth riff, or do the sidechain compression blah blah like the big shots...

I dunno my 2 cents for whatever its worth!!

Tech Guru

^ if you're still in the process of learning your software, it's more important to get a good handle of the software then it is to try to create with limited knowledge. Otherwise you're only inhibiting your creative potential by overlooking the importance of getting comfortable with your tools.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    yeah i chose my preferred software based on it's quick and easy workflow. I know the ins and outs of the software like the back of my hand so it doesn't make any sense for me to master other softwares.
    Thank you for saying that. I use Fruity and a lot people will grumble when I tell them this. But I think I'm pretty good at using it. Why fumble around with something I hardly understand trying to get my ideas out when I can use what I know well to get it out quickly?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Guru

^ lol yeah, that's haters for you... they always got lots to say cuz they don't got much to show.

if a guy can't write a good tune with fruityloops, he won't be able to do any better with Logic or Cubase. I've heard tons of great tunes made in fruity.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 09-27-2009 at 01:30 AM.