A new musical revolution on the horizon?

Default A new musical revolution on the horizon?

So while reading an article yesterday on toxicology reports from the deaths at Electric Zoo, a certain part of the article somewhat trumped the actual main part of what was written in my opinion. They mentioned how the New Zealand government has passed the Psychoactive Substances Act of 2013. Basically, if manufacturers can prove the safety of a drug, the government will regulate and allow the sale of said drugs. While I'm not really interested in the ability to party, the intriguing part of this to me is the affect that this will have on the arts.
    It's undeniable that during the 60's, music was turned on it's head due to the introduction of psychoactive drugs. Taking a listen to the beatles discography in chronological order pretty much cements that. We went from Buddy Holly's Peggy Sue, to the Doors' This is the End. The use of those drugs never really went away, but I don't see that it's popularity or availability was the same as it was at that time since it was new legal. That said, it's interesting to think about New Zealand being the first country to ever go down this route. There's the side that prohibition hasn't done anything to help addiction/addicts, stop the black market, and curb violence, but the really exciting part is the impact this might trigger on music and art. Granted, it's New Zealand, and it isn't very well known for breeding groundbreaking sounds and art, or pushing out wildly popular new music, but will this be a catalyst perhaps? Could this usher in some really interesting and new art and music? Could it help a new musical renaissance at a time where timeless music seems to be an endangered species? What are your thoughts on this?

PS - disclaimer on this... I personally only use alcohol and have no interest in other substances, but am open minded to the other peoples choices. I'm not advocating use or condeming. Completely libertarian view on this issue.

Here we go again. Lock time, Jester.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

This act is mainly to control the party pill "problem" here.
    here is the act in a nutshell

What the new Act will do

The following changes apply immediately upon the commencement of the Act:

• The sale of psychoactive products is prohibited from dairies, convenience and grocery stores, supermarkets, service stations and liquor outlets
    • The sale of psychoactive products to people under 18 years of age is prohibited
    • No-one under 18 years of age is permitted to purchase or possess psychoactive products
    • Advertising of psychoactive products is strictly controlled and only permitted at the point of sale
    • All products must be labelled with health warnings, a list of the active ingredients, contact details for the manufacturer or distributor, and the telephone number of the National Poisons Centre
    • Neither advertising nor labelling is allowed to appeal to minors
    • The Regulatory Authority can withdraw a product from the market if adverse effects, including reports of addiction, are confirmed
    • New offences are created for breaches of requirements under the Act.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "