using loops too often?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default using loops too often?

Hi guys,

Basically, when I've been mixing on my Hercules RMX lately, I've fallen into a habit of looping the track that's being cue'd.

I'll have track A playing and to Que track B, I pick which part I want to come in and loop it for 8 bars and beatmatch, and then when i'm ready to bring track B in I take it off loop and bring the channel volume up.

It doesn't feel right :/ like i find it real easy and great for learning, but it feels like i'm cheating in a way, if you know what I mean?

Tech Guru

An 8 bar loop sounds long. But, keep doing that until you can make the mix and release before the first repeat of the loop. Master the basics, then add on. What you are doing is a great way to get started.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Wizard

i used to have the track i'm Que'in in my headphones on a 16 beat loop but knocked it down to 8 and it works quite well with house music. I just feel like i'm cheating at the moment lol

Schalenberg

I don't think an 8 bar loop is long at all. I started with looping just like that and found everything too lifeless. I moved to CDJs and a mixer and never looked back. Just live your life, man.

Does it sound good?

If I have a song I want perfectly in time I will pre loop it for mixing in.

But it kind of gets rid of that feeling of hitting play or letting go of the vinyl thats like " fuckin rightttssss"

OP, it's only "cheating" if you aren't having fun. As long as you are enjoying yourself and it sounds good, fuck it. Don't worry about bar lengths, etc. But, if you feel like you're missing out on something, that's a different story. That means it might be time to switch some shit up. I started on an S4 doing exactly what you're doing. There's always another level to take it to, even with your controller. Eventually I got turntables and a DVS, and I've never had more fun. Honestly, I was probably creating "technically" smoother, more consistent, and tighter mixes with a controller and SYNC, but it was a little soulless compared to what I do now (more science, less art). Neither is better, really. You just need to find what makes you happy.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you're still matching phrases correctly.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    An 8 bar loop sounds long. But, keep doing that until you can make the mix and release before the first repeat of the loop. Master the basics, then add on. What you are doing is a great way to get started.
    No such thing as cheating in playing music. Maybe if you play a prerecorded mix, but other than that i cant see the problem. Keep on mixin!
    Childhood is short. Immaturity is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    Nothing wrong with that as long as you're still matching phrases correctly.
    problem with mixing loops on A+B is that it indeed sounds lifeless...usually there are changes in the sound structure every 16 bars (number of samples on A decreases, on track B increases in perefect sync if you get the phrases right) but when transitioning between loops you don't get that and it sounds a little bit boring, i think that's what he means.
    usually FX's help in spicing up the transition
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast