New Laptop?

Thread: New Laptop?

Tech Wizard

Default New Laptop?

Hey guys! I have decided to get myself a new laptop, a Dell Vostro 3560.

more important specs:
    15.6 Full HD Display powered by a 1GB card
    1TB HDD+32GB SSD, both integrated
    8GB of RAM
    i7 quad core 2.2GHz Processor

I'd like to get on opinion on this, but more important is the question of how to set up my drives.
    Do I put my Windows and Traktor and other important programs on the SSD and all my music and misc. on the HDD?
    Which setup is more stable? How should a HDD+SSD laptop be configured in terms of installing Traktor anc OS? What are the downsides and upsides of this setup?

Some useful information would me much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Childhood is short. Immaturity is forever.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by iqdodge View Post
    Hey guys! I have decided to get myself a new laptop, a Dell Vostro 3560.

more important specs:
    15.6 Full HD Display powered by a 1GB card
    1TB HDD+32GB SSD, both integrated
    8GB of RAM
    i7 quad core 2.2GHz Processor

I'd like to get on opinion on this, but more important is the question of how to set up my drives.
    Do I put my Windows and Traktor and other important programs on the SSD and all my music and misc. on the HDD?
    Which setup is more stable? How should a HDD+SSD laptop be configured in terms of installing Traktor anc OS? What are the downsides and upsides of this setup?

Some useful information would me much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    SSDs read/write information much faster. In order to get the best performance for the cost, most people will use the SSD as their OS and main drive, while all other HDDs operate as disc storage. It may be valuable to have your music on the SSD as well, because Traktor is going to load each song from a specific location. I personally, particularly in a live setting, would want the music on the SSD.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jlv2k5 View Post
    SSDs read/write information much faster. In order to get the best performance for the cost, most people will use the SSD as their OS and main drive, while all other HDDs operate as disc storage. It may be valuable to have your music on the SSD as well, because Traktor is going to load each song from a specific location. I personally, particularly in a live setting, would want the music on the SSD.
    But both my drives are in the laptop, so my HDD isnt external, and I dont have money for another drive. Creating a music library on the HDD but hving OS and Traktor on on the SSD is fine though, right?
    Childhood is short. Immaturity is forever.

Tech Wizard

yeah absolutely. I understand both are in your laptop, but the performance disparity is still present. in terms of SSD vs the standard HDD, the SSD simply calls files faster (and writes them faster). so that's what i was saying, you may benefit from having your music library on the SSD as well. But yes, having the library on the HDD is fine too. You definitely want traktor and the os on the ssd