Fellow DJs, I need your help discusing anouying requests.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dee Jay Flic

Default Fellow DJs, I need your help discusing anouying requests.

I am doing a speech for speech class, and it is supposed to be regarding a personal pet peeve. I honestly don't really let much bother me, especially the little things, so it was kind of hard to come up with something to write about. I know a lot of DJs have posted numerous things all over the internet about the foolish things people say when requesting a song and since I been DJ for 19 years I figured "Song Requests from a DJs Point of View" would be an easy "pet peeve" topic to talk about. However I can not seem to find as much online as I thought I would.

Can anyone help and point me to a forum post or website dedicated to stupid things people say (or do) when requesting a song.

Feel free to share any personal stories as well. I probable could just do the whole speech with my own personal stories, but when it comes to actually writing it I get writers block, so I am looking for some inspiration.

Unfortunately I have procrastinated and this speech is due tomorrow, so I will be checking in on this thread a lot tonight while actually writing the presentation.

Thanks in advance, hope to read some good stuff!

Annoying drunk broad - "Hey, do you have the song Blurred Lines?"
    Me - "Yeah, sure. I'll play it after this song that's on now."
    Annoying drunk broad - "Ok, thanks!" and then proceeds to walk away.
    Me - Cue up her shit song, get echo ready to echo out of current song, echo out of song and play "Blurred Lines"

That's when you look up, and the annoying drunk broad is nowhere to be found. And she never returns for her song.

:20 minutes goes by:

Annoying dunk broad - "Hey what happened to my song??"
    Me - "Dude... I just played it... I told you I would...."
    Annoying drunk broad - "We'll, can you play it again?"
    Me - "Please get away from me."

Dee Jay Flic

Thanks Kwal! I have had that happen a lot. Forgot about it though. I just been thinking about the "it's my birthday" and the "I'm a DJ too", forgot about the walk offs.

I once seen a thread with nothing but quotes from things DJs heard, I think it was on Serato.com, but I can't find it anymore.

I once had this dude... "Master Mix Mike" if I remember correctly..

This guy came into the bar that my partner and I were spinnin' at super early and the first thing he saw was my buddies 1200's... So he came up, said he was a DJ and yadda yadda.. Well, he then gave me and my guy one of his business cards to keep. My buddies had a picture of a 1200 that he swears he saw on Google lol, and mine had a pic of the Gemini CDJ. He wanted to stick around and watch us for a bit, so we didn't really give a shit. When we started playing, he would come up to us, watch super closely, pretend to scratch in the air and he would act like he want to use the DJM 850's line/phono switch and flip it back and forth.. Not really sure why he would do that, but sure. Eventually he came up to us and he pulled me aside and asked me if I'd play his mix... I was like dude, listen, we don't get paid to drag gear out just to play someone else's mix. How much sense would that make? I guess he got it for the time being, but within like 3 minutes he had came back up to the front of the booth, and started doing that stupid ass shit again where he pretends to flip the phono/line switch back and forth.. So I finally get super annoyed watching this, but before I even said anything the dude actually managed to flip it and the music just turned into violent noise at a very loud volume lol... Needless to say security rang his bell after that but yeah... Idiots at the bar.

Tech Mentor

NSFW vid that encapsulates my views on the subject ...
    I did say it was NSFW right?

A blog with pics of notes left in the booth ...
    http://nobreastsnorequests.tumblr.com/

A blog on the subject ...
    http://www.canyouplaythatonesong.com/

I got some dude offering me coke just after forcing me into playing fucking levels.
    I got shit turbofolk requests of the same fucking damn song 15 fucking times in a row
    I hate the place where i live

p.s.: sorry for the swearing, i just had to let it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

also, this.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Dee Jay Flic

This is good stuff. It's got my head in the right place. I have my intro wrote and have pretty much decided to break the body of the speech into three sections.
    The Clueless
    Examples: Can you play track #14 on the new Drake; Yo, here play my phone; Can you play something good
    The Rude
    Examples: Drunk guy in my face about playing AC DC; The chick who's pissed cause I can't play her song the second she request it; the people who rattle of a list like your a jukebox
    AND The Scam Artist
    Examples: I'm a DJ too it would be cool if you played some Fat Boys, It's my birthday, and the sorority chick who tries to make you believe EVERYONE wants to here some M.I.A.

Not quite got an idea for how to sum it up for an outro, but I'm getting there.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone, I love it, keep it comin.

http://nobreastsnorequests.tumblr.com/

This blog has some funny requests (among other DJ related notes and photos)

Wasted White chick with a black boyfriend comes up and asks for the wobble or something.

I don't play it right away, and she gets the owner, claiming that I won't play her song because I'm a racist???

We'll the owner makes me play her shit song. And her boyfriend comes up to the booth after and apologizes like 3 times.

He was a total gentleman, but drunk bitches ruin it for everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast