Off-hand Advice?
    Tech Wizard

Default Off-hand Advice?

http://doandroidsdance.com/features/...star/s/113860/

This blog post has some "not so direct" ways at being a successful DJ's and I'm sure that if you want to at least hold a residency you're going to want every trick in the book down to a habit.

Do you guys have any tricks of the trade or second-hand advice as to how to make it as a DJ in tough market?

Also, how can I not sound so much like an SAT when asking questions?

If you want to make it as a dj I suggest focusing 100% on practice and leave this "I want to be famous and popular" shit alone.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    If you want to make it as a dj I suggest focusing 100% on practice and leave this "I want to be famous and popular" shit alone.
    There ^^^ better advice in one sentence than that whole article of bullshit.

Is that article for real? Seriously.

"Have model looks" really? I'm sure it helps if you wanna sell records to teenage girls (like Avicii does) but Jesus H Christ DJing isn't the X-Factor (yet).

I despair at the kind of DJ that would take that article as good advice. Being able to DJ, pick good tunes, have a bit of stage presence isn't advice, it's like advising a racing driver to "go fast".

Seriously dude you will get better advice off the guys on this forum than sycophantic, arse licking articles like that. The person that wrote that has his tongue firmly up Avicii's ass.

Tech Mentor

Avicii looks like a rat though.
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

^are you a teenage girl?

OP, practice practice practice. Practice with sync, practice without sync. Mix dnb, house, hip hop, and anything else you can find. Learn to mix on cdjs and turntables and conrollers.

If you want to perfect the art, you need to master it. Mix stuff you don't like, it will make mixing stuff you like so much better.

And forget being famous. Chances are, it isn't going to happen. On a global level.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Guru

There are many great ways to make a small fortune as a DJ....provided you start with a large fortune.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Be a businessman.

Be polite.

Dont ever give the club owner not to like you. (hitting on staff, getting wasted, etc)

Here's another bloody retarded article about DJing:

http://djzimmie.com/2013/09/05/end-of-djing/

I read this and just wanted to punch whoever wrote it square in the face. The ENTIRE thing is just filled with an insane amount of ego and "nobody's as good as 'us'" comments. Like this little fucking gem from Crooklyn Clan:

"One day real soon, all of this is gonna end. Sure there will be people DJing but it won’t matter. When all the veterans retire, us, Jazzy Jeff, Rich Medina, Bobbito, Scratch, Prince Paul, all the good music cats, it’s over."

Sorry, but these guys who think they're "good music cats" aren't masters of DJing, they're masters of being stuck in the past. With the possible exception of Jazzy Jeff who's performance on the Graham Norton show was epic.

But yeah, basically it's an article about how old school DJs are butthurt than the financial bar for entry into DJing has been lowered, and they don't have the skills or intelligence to figure out how to step up their game to compete with - well, basically the people on this forum lol.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Don't burn bridges. If you are lucky enough to land a gig, and something goes wrong, think before you talk or act because this industry is 90% reputation and who you know. Burn a bridge this time, next time you land a gig, the owner might know the one you just burned.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.