Room/Sound treatment

Default Room/Sound treatment

So a local council music production thing lost its funding last week, so they were punting everything between the two rooms for pennies, managed to pick up a fair bit of room treatment foam and a Rhode mic, now, where to put the insulation?

I picked up 4 corner bass traps,
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/auralex_aco...charcoal_4.htm

Some wedges,
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/auralex_aco...s_charcoal.htm

And i dont have a clue what these are,
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/auralex_aco...r_diffusor.htm

There isnt enough bass traps to fill wall to wall on all 4 corners, im assuming the ones behind the speakers are more important?
    The wall behind my speakers is a window with wooden blinds, if ive got them slanted thats pretty good deadening isnt it?, the wall thats left will get covered in the wedges.

And the third, i dont even know what they are lol,
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

1) Get a cheap sofa, try to find the most cushy-soft-filled one, that'll trap yo bass like heaven.
    Traps on both front and rear are equally important if you don't have a massive, massive room.
    If your monitors have a rear-placed bass reflex port, then wood is not deadening at all, it actually reflects a lot of sound. I suggest putting a heavy removable curtain, that'll deaden the window.

2) you don't need to completely cover the entire walls, the most important points are the points of 1st and 2nd reflection, you basically search for the places where the sound from your monitor bounces first (you can do this by sliding a mirror and when you see the cone of one of the monitors that's the 1st refl., and when you see the other it's the 2nd), then if possible cover the points of 1st and 2nd refl. from floor to ceiling, or at least a couple panels on top and bottom, not just one.

3) it's a sound diffuser, a great addition to absorbers, if you have the money to buy it. you usually put them on the wall behind you (the back wall) and inbetween the 1st and 2nd reflection points, it basically prevents sound from bouncing in only one direction, creating echoes and additional reflections, in fact diffusing the sound energy accross the room. This will not only prevent massive echoes and "delays", it will also make your room a lot more "living", a very subtle natural reverb basically.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Those last ones are ceiling panels so that you don't have a flat "wall" on the roof. Cover a whole rooms walls ceiling and floors, and you get a "dead" room.

Sweet finds though dude.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Thanks guys, surely depending on what angle you stand at you should be able to see the speaker cones from any part of the room?

I did manage to grab a fair bit of the foam but nowhere near enough to fill the room, on the left side of the room is floor to ceiling windows, again with wooden blinds, im assuming thats bad?

There was only four of the diffusers left, is it only on the ceiling they go? where is most important?
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Get a heavy curtain, and hang it from the wall or ceiling above the windows. That will do the trick, and you can still let the light in if you get too pastey.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    2) you don't need to completely cover the entire walls, the most important points are the points of 1st and 2nd reflection, you basically search for the places where the sound from your monitor bounces first (you can do this by sliding a mirror and when you see the cone of one of the monitors that's the 1st refl., and when you see the other it's the 2nd), then if possible cover the points of 1st and 2nd refl. from floor to ceiling, or at least a couple panels on top and bottom, not just one.
    I'd never heard this before, this is a really cool trick.
    I play house music!
    http://tortango.com/