Bedroom/Party S4/S2 dj, moving to clubs - unsure on setup - HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Bedroom/Party S4/S2 dj, moving to clubs - unsure on setup - HELP!

Hey Guys,

I've been doing a lot of parties recently using my S4 and S2, and it's starting to ramp up, I do it for fun more than anything but people seem to be liking my song choice! I've got my first club gig this thursday and I dont want to rock up with my whole S2 or S4 (i have both one for office one for home).

I was thinking about getting a smaller setup like the X1 / F1 and connecting it up to the mixer in the club, but I'm not really sure if I understand how it all works. The S2 is the sound card, effects unit, mixer, all in one. Do i need both an X1 and F1 (because of the soundcard) to use pioneer mixer etc? Normal London clubs probably have a pioneer mixer right, what should I be taking to hook up to their system with my laptop?

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks,

Sam
    (Forget my nickname, its shit I know!)

Download the drivers for the specific mixer you will be using, optimize traktor for it in the settings, connect the x1/f1 to your computer. If you could try to set it all up for a check before the gig that's ideal.
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

Tech Mentor

Call the promotor, ask what mixer they have, and then come back with specifics so the people with know how here can help you properly

Tech Wizard

Ok done!

It's CDJ1000's and DJM 800 mixer.

I have Traktor Kontrol S2 but looking to go buy necessary stuff to I can use the DJM800 instead.

So I need X1? Anything else?

Tech Mentor

you donīt need to buy anything.
    you can use the cdjs as controller and soundcards. but prepare/map traktor for your setup before you play your gig! i think the djm has midi and a sound interface, too.
    this requires a whole new setup for your workflow. this is mixing externally.
    mixing internally is possible as well. just hook your s2/s4 into one of the djmīs channels and put the cdjs aside. this way you can play your gig on your normal devices and donīt have to get into new setups evreytime you play in different clubs.
    but you donīt have to buy extra stuff. well maybe a cable.
    all you need is a soundcard (S2/s4/cdjs/djm) and something to control traktor (cdjs/s2/s4/DJM/keyboard/whatever)!
    Last edited by c0nsul; 09-25-2013 at 12:02 PM.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Tech Wizard

But DJM isn't going to control traktor fx? So i need X1?

Is the DJM the soundcard then, so can I just control traktor from it, or am I getting confused? Basically i want to use DJM cue/play/eq's/filter, and then X1 for cuepoints and effects...

Tech Wizard

Do I need something like an audio8? interface?

Tech Guru

If you want to use the club mixer with Traktor the standard setup would be an X1 and a sound card. If you want to add timecode with CDJs or turntables get the Traktor Audio 6 or 10.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

The DJM800 doesn't support MIDI and doesn't have an audio interface, just FYI. You can't use the CDJ1000s in HID mode either, as they don't have USB connections.

What you probably want is, if you're not going to be using the CDJs in any way, an X1 + sound card (preferably with at least 2 pairs of stereo outs, so basically 4 outputs total). In Traktor preferences you can set Traktor to mix externally (e.g. using the DJM800), and then you need to route your deck outputs through the soundcard. For instance, Deck A is output 1+2 of your soundcard, those cables go into, for example, channel 2 of the mixer. Same for Deck B, but then for output 3+4 in this example.

You'll use the X1 for FX and transport controls, while using the DJM800 for everything else (EQing, cueing, etc).

I hope this clears things up a bit, if not, just ask.

why do you want to change your workflow on the first gig you will play on a club. TBH, if it was me, I would use the s2/s4 so there are less mistakes and more call backs from the club. then that is the time that i would get a pair of cdjs and mixer to practice on.

or better yet, ask a friend with that kind of set up (or the club itself during its non peak hours) and ask if you could practice on it. so you don't have to spend.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast