what are the advantages of a digital vinyl set-up?

Default what are the advantages of a digital vinyl set-up?

Hello, this is my first post on the DJ techtools forums.

I'm thinking of upgrading my current DJ set (traktor s2) to something better suited for playing at clubs and big parties. I've seen some DJ using a digital vinyl set-up using time code kits like the Traktor scratch. What are the advantages of using a setup like this? It looks fun having a more hands-on control and being able to do classic DJ techniques like scratching.

I've seen some decent used turntables for sale, but what mixer should I get that would allow control of the digital effects in Traktor?

you can also scratch on cdjs and controllers although it wouldn't sound as nice as vinyls. any mixer with decent crossfader can do. but you have to get an audio 4/6/8/10 for it or get the scratch certified mixers. get an x1 for transport controls and thats it.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

The feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

No real advantages. Honestly. But if (like me) you've just got a vinyl habit, the combination of todays technology and a real piece of wax is pretty hard to beat.

Man - when I first got my Dicers and started using cue points with a real piece of vinyl, my mind was utterly blown. Watching the record spin and pounding those first cue points was fun, y'all.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

digital vynil set up only has a real added value if you are spinning hip hop or if you are wanting to get into serious scratching imo.
    And remember the S2 is almost plug and play, with a DVS set up you will have to do a lot more yourself to get the same kind of intergation

(preparing to get shot down any second now:P)
    HP Pavillion 17" , i7 core 2nd gen, 8Gb ram / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Ableton Live suite 8 & 9 / Traktor Kontrol S4 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / 2x Numark TT200 / Hercules DJ Console RMX / Akai MPD24 / Evolution MK425C / Evolution UC33 / Sennheiser HD215 / M-Audio Audiophiles BX5A active monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Addvice View Post
    Hello, this is my first post on the DJ techtools forums.

I'm thinking of upgrading my current DJ set (traktor s2) to something better suited for playing at clubs and big parties. I've seen some DJ using a digital vinyl set-up using time code kits like the Traktor scratch. What are the advantages of using a setup like this? It looks fun having a more hands-on control and being able to do classic DJ techniques like scratching.

I've seen some decent used turntables for sale, but what mixer should I get that would allow control of the digital effects in Traktor?
    You should get a controller to control your internal effects, something like the x1 or the x1 mk2(or any midi controller because you can map it inner traktor)

I like using a DVS system for just ease of control, I played vinyl and cds for aprox 3 years before I went traktor and I don't look back too often. Over all it is just ease of use when it comes to having a DVS, things are a bit more simplified and you have a visual guide to what you're doing.

When you are using the looping functions etc on a CDJ unit , it doesn't always time properly, generally only your high end mixers have effects worth using & when you use a DVS those issues goes out the door.

At the end of the day what it all turns out to be is personal preference on what works best for you.

I still play cds sometimes and always consider going back to them but traktor has grown on me & I find myself able to do more on a DVS system then a cdj + mixer set up although they really do have the same functions, it just comes down to ease of use for me.

Hope this post cleared things up if people before me havn't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip van Winkle View Post
    digital vynil set up only has a real added value if you are spinning hip hop or if you are wanting to get into serious scratching imo.
    And remember the S2 is almost plug and play, with a DVS set up you will have to do a lot more yourself to get the same kind of intergation

(preparing to get shot down any second now:P)
    S2 and S4 are both good units, don't be afraid to go the controller route because IT WILL SAVE YOU TONS OF CASH. Although when I buy my son a controller it won't be a native instruments unit. Probably allen and heath , xone will be the make I plan on purchasing, unsure what model yet.

If you're looking to purchase gear(@op)I would personally put a good chunk of time fourth towards educating yourself as to what is on the market. I would even go as far as renting different pieces of gear to find out what works best for you.

I myself went the expensive route which involved every type of set up you can imagine. tt's , cdjs , controller... and then finally found my zen.... for now.
    Last edited by atontheproton; 09-26-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Tech Mentor

My current setup is a Z2 with two ST-150 tables from Stanton. And I'm absolutely in love. The feeling, the mixture of turntablism and controllerism, old-school and new-school, it's a match made in heaven. That said, I hate hate HATE lugging all of it out to a gig, where the booth is too small, there's a ground hum, and the subs are right under the booth making the needles jump. Unless I'm headed out to play there for 4 hours straight and want the comfort and control it brings, I will bring my S2 and just use that for the night. It's a lot less to bring out, easy to set up and break down, and has all the basics you need to spin a night.

I would never go back to anything else after running a DVS setup, and I strongly encourage anyone to try one out. However if you get one, I'd still hang on to your S2. You haul all of that equipment out to a few gigs, and you'll realize really quick that the S2 is a way easier way to do mobile/club gigs. A DVS setup for home use? Absolutely phenomenal, and you won't regret it
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Mentor

I can tell you personally I love it. I moved from my beloved VCI-100 to DVS and I havent looked back. I honestly love scratching and its more of a genuine feel to me. I love the feel of a turntable. If you are serious about the switch over it will cost you but I feel like I couldn't have made a better decision with my DJing.
    For all my VCI-100 lovers view my step by step guide to moding your very own VCI-100 Arcade edition
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=56270

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Want to get better? Two words... jesus pose. 60% of the time, it works every time.