Recording the video footage of your live sets - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

GoPro(s) + A ZOOM H4N.

I've seen/used anywhere from 1-16 GoPro cameras used. Put them where ever you want, don't worry about audio.

Put the ZOOM H4N in the booth with the mics pointed towards the audience, with the mics set to the narrower field. Record 4 tracks. The two atmospheric mics and the left and right out of your mixer/soundcard! In post line up all of your waveforms (super easy, just play the metronome for one tick right when you start) and hey presto! You can now cut between cams as you like and as the last step mute all camera audio and use about 90% mixer audio and 10% atmospheric mic audio (Highpass filter this.) and render!

BONUS POINTS: For extra coolness, get audience members to tweet//facebook//youtube videos they took during and lace them in! Knife Party used this to great effect in their ULTRA video. As seen here.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Tech Wizard

Hahaha it's a good thing I just bought the zoom H4N a week ago! Love that thing. As for using the internally mic on the gopro, never! I'd use that only to help sync the audio from an external source/direct line in, to the video source.

I think what I will do is go for 2 go pro 3+, in terms of lighting its mostly going to be done in my studio, where the lighting is not difficult to control... And then a lot can be done in post, so I'd be quite happy with that set up! I will post a video with a set I recorded 2 weeks ago, struggling to find any decent enough Internet out here but I fly back to the UK on the 11th so I will do it then! Done with the on board iSight of a second MacBook so don't expect anything special ;-)

Any one have any recorded sets with audio and video they want to share?

About to post a video from the last party my residency had. It's shot on my GoPro HERO3 Black Edition. 720p24fps. That 24fps is important! Gives you the best bang for your buck light wise.

NOTE: It's internal audio. Don't crucify me. Wasn't gonna record any during party shots till this shit came on during the guest DJ's set.

VIDEO:
    Last edited by ProfessorStrangeman; 10-02-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Tech Wizard

Hahaha internal audio! Boooooo! ;-) you mention frame rate being the best in low light, but I've never heard of frame rate having anything to do with lighting, can you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Danielkaye View Post
    Hahaha internal audio! Boooooo! ;-) you mention frame rate being the best in low light, but I've never heard of frame rate having anything to do with lighting, can you explain?
    Think about it! At 60fps the shutter is only open for 1/60 of a second and therefore each frame only collects 1/60 worth of light information. While at 24fps it's open for 1/24 of second and therefore collects more than double the amout of light per frame! I'm not sure about the exact figures, but in my practice it is noticable brighter and has less noise from digital brightness gain.

Note to self: Don't drop that version of Sandstorm. See how the energy just fades out when the dubstep part coms in at 0:30...
    This is why you should record your sets - to learn!
    www.discjockey.nu

Traktor Scratch Pro - MacBook Pro 13" - Midi Fighter 3D - Kontrol X1 - tma-1 - Pioneer CDJ-400
    Technics SL1210 MK2 - Allen & Heath Xone PX5

Tech Mentor

Did you all the see the announcement of the GoPro Hero 3+ cameras yesterday?

Apparently better optics, better low-light and longer battery life.

Very excited.

On the subject of GoPros, I will say that, as per the tips above, you MUST get a Black for club stuff.

I bought a Hero 3 Silver, and low light performance is way worse than the black. Plus, the medium and narrow view modes on GoPros are basically digital zooms. That's ok with the Black, as you can record at 1080p in medium view and still get a full quality image. With the cheaper models, you're stuck with full wide/fisheye view unless you are happy to lose quality.

Tech Wizard

This video pretty much has me sold, quality is top top notch 10/10 am digging.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    Did you all the see the announcement of the GoPro Hero 3+ cameras yesterday?

Apparently better optics, better low-light and longer battery life.
    Not to mention new mics! For us festival goers this will be GREAT.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    Think about it! At 60fps the shutter is only open for 1/60 of a second and therefore each frame only collects 1/60 worth of light information. While at 24fps it's open for 1/24 of second and therefore collects more than double the amout of light per frame! I'm not sure about the exact figures, but in my practice it is noticable brighter and has less noise from digital brightness gain.
    That's not quite right... you are confusing shutter speed with frame rate.

You can shoot 24 fps with 1/2000 frame rate if you really wanted to (I can do this with my DSLR). If you were to shoot a moving object, it would look very jerky and odd, because you are "freezing" the motion with each frame, there's no "motion blur".

The typical rule for natural looking video is that you want to use twice the frame rate for your shutter speed. So for 30 fps, you use 1/60th of a second for the shutter speed.

I'm not sure how GoPro handles shutter speed, it may lower the shutter speed at 24 fps. In which case, yes you are right, it is a lower shutter speed, hence more light, but you had the details wrong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast