Recording the video footage of your live sets
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Recording the video footage of your live sets

What's up everyone. I've tried recording my sets a few different ways now, and I'm still not satisfied completely. The best solution so far was to use a second macbook for the video, but the quality was no where near high enough definition obviously, and as the built in isight has such a narrow field, you have to place the laptop stupidly far away...

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this, which cameras you would recommend etc. End result would hopefully be similar quality to boiler room/Pioneer DJ sounds show, with emphasis on wide angle!

i think getdarker use gopros, no idea about boiler room/pdj

get a dslr with a video if you have that kind of money.
    get a handycam or compact cameras if you are on a budget.
    get a gopro or other action cameras if you want a small lightweight mountable camera for different angles or overhead shots..

I saw one time that they are using a dslr on wide angle lens and mounted on the tripod infront of the table they are using.

gopro cameras are naturally wide angled, but the battery only lasts an hour while recording so you still have to hook it up if you want to keep recording past the 1 hour mark.

just record in hd or in the highest quality and edit.
    Last edited by arsman; 09-25-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Go pro for the camera and route the output of the mix into a computer to live record the set and put them together.

Tech Wizard

I've got a canon 7D, but the trouble is recording for that length of time without the camera over heating. I've also got the gopro hero 2, but I'm not sure how to plug it in to prevent the battery from draining while recording...

Another problem with the gopro is that you cannot make it the camera of choice if you're trying to stream live, I believe that is something they corrected with the hero 3.

i'd hire a camera from a pro camera hire place. Get good bang for your buck without wasting thousands on buying a camera that's good enough.

These guys are in Birmingham and this looks pretty decent http://www.mediadoghire.com/canon_xa20_hire

This looks a bit more badman but maybe more complicated if you're not that into cameras (just the prime lenses etc)

http://www.mediadoghire.com/sony_f3_camera_hire

But basically your vids will look the business and you only get a camera when you need it. Normally the hire companies have good reps that you can phone and talk through your requirement.

You'll probs want a tripod to set up the camera too.

Also video needs light really so a lamp on your face/area you want filming goes a long way.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

GoPro GoPro GoPro. If out can afford a dslr, but more GoPros. Can't speak more highly of them.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    GoPro GoPro GoPro. If out can afford a dslr, but more GoPros. Can't speak more highly of them.
    Thanks for all the responses! As I've said, I have a gopro HD Hero 2, but I don't know how to film with it while its plugged in so I don't drain the battery? Syncing the audio and video won't be a problem, just want to know how to keep it running for 2 hours without killing the battery.

connect to a wall outlet charger and not the computer.

that's it.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by arsman View Post
    connect to a wall outlet charger and not the computer.

that's it.
    That easy hey? Perfect, thanks again for all the responses! I'll be putting some videos up soon ;-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast