Recording the video footage of your live sets - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

If your video is to be longer than 10mins, then a DSLR is out.

Any decent HD camcorder should do the job, and I can vouch for GoPros too. They can be used to live streaming...if you have an external capture card like a Canopus ADVC-55 etc...

If you want mega production standards then you could hire a couple of broadcast cameras like a Panasonic HDX-900 (we have 12 of these in my work) which are really good, plus you can genlock them so the timecodes all line up, would make it easier to edit...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Guru

GoPro has a fish eye lens by default. I guess you can alter that somewhat but I have a cheaper suggestion for you: Logitech C920. I have 5 of them and they work great in low lighting and support up to 1080P. And they are only about 85$.

GoPros are the way forward mate. Or you could just get really famous and get someone like Be-at TV to just film it for you to be honest.

GoPRO GOPRO GOPRO!!!! They're cheaper than a DSLR but have good quality, and you can spill a drink on it and knock it around because it's meant for surfing and other such sports.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Crisis View Post
    GoPros are the way forward mate. Or you could just get really famous and get someone like Be-at TV to just film it for you to be honest.
    That's the plan ;-) hahaha

I think the route is gopros, might try to sell my HD2 and buy two HD3's.

Long term goal is to do a monthly podcast for a page I've started with a few friends, if any one wants to get involved, contribute a mix etc just message me! :-)

Http://www.facebook.com/liveontap
    Last edited by Danielkaye; 10-01-2013 at 01:57 AM.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

What is with all the GoPro suggestions?

Honestly I think they kinda suck for live streaming. I have a Hero 2, and I found it to be a bit of an awkward setup. Mounting, powering it, and dealing with an HDMI out, it's very clumsy. The mounts aren't really designed to be used with a bunch of cables coming out of the camera, so how do you mount it?

I even tried WiFi streaming. Very laggy and just awkward and kludgy to use.

And more importantly... it's a fixed lens, and a fisheye lens at that. The fish eye look is cool, for a little while, but it would get old very quickly.

GoPro's ARE cool if you want to run around a club and grab some quick footage. But not really for recording a whole set or streaming. The options for audio are pretty lame too.

A DSLR produces amazing video quality, but as stated before you can't just set one up and leave it on live mode (the sensor will over heat), plus the time limits of using these prevent you from recording a whole set. Again, if you want to grab short footage from a club, a good DSLR will beat out a Go Pro anytime.

What I use is an actual HD video camera. I use a Canon HG10 (there is an HG20 now). These are about $1100, which isn't cheap (though there are cheaper options), but you'll get that crisp professional quality you were talking about. You'll also get a sensor which can handle low-light (think night club) situations.

If you want to stream, I use a Black Magic Designs Intensity Extreme and connect that to the HDMI output of the Canon. The image quality is excellent. Just be aware that you will need a beefy machine to encode HD video.

I shot the video below using the Canon HG10 and a Canon 5D Mark III with a variety of lenses (ie, the fish-eye at the beginning).

Cheap? No. There are cheaper versions of these that produce video "similar", but you have to realize those Pioneer/Boiler Room DJ sets are shot with pro gear:

Last edited by Ryan Ruel; 10-01-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Tech Mentor

To you guy's using GO Pros... how do you handle the low light situations?

Tech Wizard

Hmmm more interesting points. Low light would be dealt with by controlling the aperture, but obviously there is no control over this when using the gopros.

In terms of mounting them with all the cables, I'd only be running one cable into each of them (for power). I don't plan on streaming. I spend most of my time in South Africa and the bandwidth is a problem, so I will record, edit, and upload. Then if I feel like it I can just broadcast that.

I'd be interested in hearing about gopros in low light.

I know the gopro 3+ was released today, and the quality is supposed to be pretty impressive, so that is tempting, and it would be used a lot with my current gear, so I won't feel too bad about paying for it ;-)

Tech Wizard

Very nice video by the way! I'd love to live in a place like that...

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    To you guy's using GO Pros... how do you handle the low light situations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielkaye View Post
    Hmmm more interesting points. Low light would be dealt with by controlling the aperture, but obviously there is no control over this when using the gopros.

I'd be interested in hearing about gopros in low light.
    Lights. Lots and lots of Lights. Its designed for outdoor use and adventures in broad daylight! You can not control the aperture as it is fixed. a good light source is your only solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel View Post
    What is with all the GoPro suggestions?

Honestly I think they kinda suck for live streaming. I have a Hero 2, and I found it to be a bit of an awkward setup. Mounting, powering it, and dealing with an HDMI out, it's very clumsy. The mounts aren't really designed to be used with a bunch of cables coming out of the camera, so how do you mount it?

I even tried WiFi streaming. Very laggy and just awkward and kludgy to use.

And more importantly... it's a fixed lens, and a fisheye lens at that. The fish eye look is cool, for a little while, but it would get old very quickly.

GoPro's ARE cool if you want to run around a club and grab some quick footage. But not really for recording a whole set or streaming. The options for audio are pretty lame too.

A DSLR produces amazing video quality, but as stated before you can't just set one up and leave it on live mode (the sensor will over heat), plus the time limits of using these prevent you from recording a whole set. Again, if you want to grab short footage from a club, a good DSLR will beat out a Go Pro anytime.
    Its a cheap camera with lots of different mounts and its super light than the lightest DSLR. you could change the angle of view from fisheye to regular by adjusting the size of the image before shooting. I have been in many instances where the gopro are more useful than a DLSR. and I work in the wedding industry. the quality of the camera is adjustable and you could always edit in Video editing softwares.

the audio won't be lame if you use an open case. its not that great, but its still usable.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast