After DJing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After DJing?

Tech Wizard

Default After DJing?

It just occurred to me that there will come a time when I can no longer DJ, simply put, being 60 and a DJ is something that I just don't see anyone out there doing; and is honestly not something that I want to be renown for. Sure, I'd still love to put tracks together and home and post them on the Internet i9000g9000, but playing out to clubs? I wonder if I'll have it out for that.

So that makes me wonder, what are we to do after we are done being DJ's? Let's say it's someones FULL career, what do they do after they're done as a DJ?

but seriously, you should look into being a FOH guy. (front of house) also known as that guy who mixes the sound and lights.

why are you concerned? i would worry about not evolving in life past djing by the time I'm 60.. Sure I love dance music, love partying and love djing, but everyone involved in that scene is 18 - 25, I'm 29 now and it feels weird enough being surrounded by random 18 year olds in clubs. Some people see djing into their 40's and 50's but they are mostly mobile and the idea of being a dj changes to being a celebration host playing the same lame rock, folk and pop songs every set. kill me if I ever go down that road!
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

There are DJ's in their 60's and older that are still playing clubs.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/22/43...ns-output-club
    http://societeperrier.com/articles/r.../#.UkNcONIqiSo

But I'm sure many that retired from the clubs are producing, managing, promoting, starting a DJ company and blog (not that Ean is old lol), or changing to a mobile DJ for hire.

I was like that, and I know it doesn't seem glamorous, or 'cool', but I started doing weddings this year, and love it. You are always surrounded by people in a good mood, usually the food is amazing, you get paid very well, and the djing is usually very easy. I also dj dnb for my internet show, and get my artistic fix that way. Normally my show reaches 500-600 ppl a week, which is about what you would expect playing in a club, of course these listeners sought out my music, which makes it even more satisfying. If you love djing for djing, why would you ever want to quit?
    Transcendent Tuesdays weekly DNB on www.KRISISDnB.com 8:30-10pm UK time.

yeah you just gotta fall into the right niche.

I'm not sure how old Eddie Richards is, but he's gotta be pushin 60

Idk m8 I have a full time job as it is

Well, when you do mobile djing it becomes your full time job. Then you get to get paid without going to a club every weekend.
    Transcendent Tuesdays weekly DNB on www.KRISISDnB.com 8:30-10pm UK time.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    yeah you just gotta fall into the right niche.

I'm not sure how old Eddie Richards is, but he's gotta be pushin 60
    In regards to niche, let's say that when I start up in the scene here in AZ, will I eventually just gravitate toward something that deals with the nightlife? Like you said earlier about FOH.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrxstxxn View Post
    It just occurred to me that there will come a time when I can no longer DJ, simply put, being 60 and a DJ is something that I just don't see anyone out there doing; and is honestly not something that I want to be renown for. Sure, I'd still love to put tracks together and home and post them on the Internet i9000g9000, but playing out to clubs? I wonder if I'll have it out for that.

So that makes me wonder, what are we to do after we are done being DJ's? Let's say it's someones FULL career, what do they do after they're done as a DJ?
    Are you currently a gigging DJ? Aren't you still waiting to get your first set of gear?

It seems a little odd to start talking about retirement before you've started the job.
    Last edited by jdownesbaird; 09-25-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast