Finding ways to Afford DJ Equipment, Help & advice needed
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Finding ways to Afford DJ Equipment, Help & advice needed

Hi all fellow DJs on the DJTT forum!

I have been mixing since the start of summer this year. I am a Traktor user and I am in love with the Traktor Kontrol S4 Mk II. I desperately want it but I don't have the money for it yet. I can earn the money to get it by doing gigs on holidays but not a lot of people listen to the music I'm into at home. So I'm very limited then.
    Another one of my best chances is by saving up what I can until black friday when it's heavily discounted and spend it then, that is if the S4 Mk II doesn't go out of stock by then. *Fingers crossed*
    My last best chance is when I go to Miami for the Ultra Music Festival for 2 weeks. Since it will be spring break, there will be hundreds of parties going on and people would be asking for DJ's or just playing their iPod which I think is dulling. Since the parties last day and night, I will get the money very quickly but it so far away and I need a crowd that loves my type of music, and hopefully there is, pff what am I saying, of course there is.

My only problem is that I am stuck at school doing my classes and my school doesn't allow computers that are owned by me or you personaly unless given special permision and all my chances are somewhat a long time away. So I only have the holidays to do my mixing and I don't have a part time job because I basically live in the middle of no where when there is no snow. Where I am becomes a ski/snowsport resort during snowsport season.

So I am asking you guys if you have advice, help, or ways for me to earn money to afford the Traktor Kontrol S4 MK II. I would apreciate the help a lot and I really need it because it is my dream to work with music. Please help me!

wait? you are not allowed to own a laptop except during the holidyseasons? and also you said, that you just started spinning this summer? do you really think that you are already good enough to please a bigger crowd? easy man! don´t rush it. keep the cool and master your craft first. if you really need this controller, save up and/or get some jobs during the holidays.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Wizard

Yes I can't bring my own computer unless I am apart of the school party group called Stöckli Group. I am technically part of it, because I spent a couple of 16+ parties mixing while the DJ was sick and I help set up the sound systems and EQ's, and my school is a population of 150 kids, 45% is 16+.
    I spent the entire summer Mixing, nothing else. I even pleased the 13 year old phenominon DJ Elle Morgan, incase you don't know her, She is the biggest DJ in Texas and growing.
    I am also not exactly rushing it, I am just pointing out my best chances to earn money for the S4. But at the moment I can only save up my monthly pocket money, which is 33 franks/month, or $37/month. I am currently in my Junior year and I currently have $170.
    Also it's not very easy for me to find jobs during the holidays where I live. Like the only gig I got for Christmas break is Mixing for a New Years party, and I don't even have a price yet.
    I could've spent the whole summer working to get the S4 but something else happened which I needed to act on which I needed. Which was my headphones broke, so I needed to get money to get a new pair which are the V-Moda Crossfade M100's.
    But I guess I can just save up what I can and hope I have enough by black friday if the S4 doesn't go out of stock

trust me man, getting gigs for parties in Miami, is not the easiest thing.

Tech Guru

Can you work in the local snow sports industry and earn money over the winter? Cash in the plane ticket to Miami...and you've got enough for a Mk1....and maybe more.

There are some differences between the Mk 1 & Mk2...but nothing that will prevent you from learning the craft, practicing, and even earning money. I get the allure of the S4...but most of the "four deck" techniques are better suited to "routines" than to "live mixing." Do you "need" an S4 to really get the music out of your head...is the S2 really not up to the task in a fundamental way?

Traktor has apps for the iPad and iPhone/Pod that allow for reasonable practice (the iMashine app is surprisingly fun to use). There are some controllers that can play directly from a USB drive, that might give you more opportunities to practice while you are at school. Perhaps those would be a better solutions given the lack of a laptop.

Also, Music Festivals do not exist by handing out money to anyone who wants to DJ...most of the people there are going to be skipping meals just to attend. Said another way, how many $$$ are you planning to spend to hear a DJ at a house party while you are there?
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

No, you should totally go to Miami during Ultra and just wander the streets. You will totally get at least 4 paying gigs a day with this approach.
    You'll have enough for the S4 in no time. You'll probably even get a slot at Ultra.

Yes, save the money for your tickets to Ultra, buy the S4 with that, and hit up some of the closer festivals in your area. I know they have massive festivals closer to you, if you are looking to see some decent talent. Ultra is really all about flash anyways, if you ARE set on coming here, go to WMC, and don't waste your time at Ultra. At least that way you might meet some djs that can give you some pointers and help with direction.
    Transcendent Tuesdays weekly DNB on www.KRISISDnB.com 8:30-10pm UK time.

Tech Wizard

Thanks guys for all the support, but the plan is that My mom is paying for the tickets for me, herself, and my sister, and the plan for me was that since Ultra only happens during the weekends on the last 2 weeks of march. I could spend the rest of the time getting gigs.
    I plan to spend my time at ultra to see all my favorite artists since I've never been able to go to concerts of my choice.
    @soundinmotiondj it is my plan to see as much of the artists that are going to Ultra as I can, so that means avicii all the way down to zedd. If you want more specific artists I can pm you them.

The main reason why I am wanting to get the S4 Mk II is because Mixing with only my computer can get really hard because I am limited to do only one thing at a time which with the S4 I can do multiple things at once. I've also worked with the S2 already, it's an excelent controller but it just doesn't fit my needs because it's only two decks and I tend to mix two songs together, for example, Masta Blasta by Dillon Francis and Pink Lady by Feed Me, and sometimes I don't have enough time to change to another song. which really means I need the four decks so that way I can be more prepared. The S4 is also supposed to give me more control over the mixer because my mouse tends to do a little overkill on the frequencies and the crossfader. I also need a place to put my headphones while music is playing through my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    No, you should totally go to Miami during Ultra and just wander the streets. You will totally get at least 4 paying gigs a day with this approach.
    You'll have enough for the S4 in no time. You'll probably even get a slot at Ultra.
    this man has the right idea
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    this man has the right idea
    I get that he has the right idea but it's so far away right now, but I guess snowboarding will pass the time, also how will I get people to sign me up for a gig? Craigs list? somewhere else? Because people won't know that I am available for a gig if I just stroll around in the street without saying anything. I know people will want DJ's for their parties but I will also need a price. What is the most reasonable price for a newbie but experienced DJ?

I don't think I will even get a spot at ultra because those are big time Music Producer/DJs we are talking about and I have only 3-4 months of experience, but my teacher was an excellent DJ so I guess I can give them a few surprises.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast