Picking the right mixer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Picking the right mixer

I recently ordered a pair of Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3s off the net. I currently use a controller with Traktor. I want to know which option would work best with CDJ 1000 MK3s:

Option 1: Get a Z2 Mixer and run the CDJs through that onto my laptop
    Option 2: Get a Pioneer DJM-T1 and run the CDJs through that onto my laptop?
    Option 3: Get a regular Pioneer Mixer(Ex DJM 600) and buy a Traktor box(Interface)?

I have been a controller DJ since the start so I apologize if I sound ridiculous. I am trying to not spend more than I have to but I also want this set up to run smoothly. Thanks in advance fellas

Hey there

As much as i love our DJM600, it is extremely dated for 2013 and the sound quality just doesn't cut it compared to a modern mixer.
    Of the options you list there, i would probably go for the Z2, although i'm not a fan of 2 channel mixers myself.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

The first thing I'd ask is where do you dj most often and with what?

If you're a club dj, whose residence has a certain set up gear it towards something similar to make your life easier. (traktor box etc)
    If you're a house party dj then I'd go for the most minimal set up (z2)
    If you're a bedroom dj, go for whatever you feel like that gets you to where you want the most!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Pavin View Post
    The first thing I'd ask is where do you dj most often and with what?

If you're a club dj, whose residence has a certain set up gear it towards something similar to make your life easier. (traktor box etc)
    If you're a house party dj then I'd go for the most minimal set up (z2)
    If you're a bedroom dj, go for whatever you feel like that gets you to where you want the most!
    The mixer will be used for house parties/clubs/my basement. I am slowly getting asked to do more and more house parties and club gigs.

Tech Convert

I would be using the mixer for house parties 40%, Home use 40% and 20% club use. I would say I have club gigs 2-3 times a month but I am playing house parties and practicing all of the time. I want something that is dependable and durable. I like the cue's on the digital mixers but they are not a deal breaker for me.

Well, do you have a budget?

djm 250 + traktor soundcard?

If you plan on playing out a lot, use what the clubs in your area seem to have the most of. Here in Charlotte, NC pretty much every club uses/provides Pioneer gear. DJM-800 and CDJ-1000's are the club minimum here in most spots. There is one place that I play at frequently (Crown Station) that has a nice old school 909.

Basically, use what is going to benefit YOU the most. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Personally, owning a Pioneer mixer myself in the past (DJM-850) and going to a Traktor Z2... the Z2 honestly felt cheap and I wound up taking it back the next day.
    Soundcloud @ http://www.soundcloud.com/dj-sved
    Twitter @ https://twitter.com/djsved
    DJM 900 Nexus
    Two Traktor X1s

Tech Convert

To me the Z2 was a disapointment in terms of sound quality and feel - as trilla_shocka also states, it feels cheap. (I have had the DDM4000, NOX606, DJM900, Z2 and now Xone92)

From your options I would lean towards a more regular setup with Traktor externally. This gives you 4 channel opportunity and flexibility. You might start off with cheap stuff like a Behringer or reloop mixer and move to a DJM or Allen & Heath on a later stage.

I'd agree with boris here, z2 was a major fail, but i'd go for the djx900 5 channel behringer, reliable brand and cheap. Several sites i found are good value, this is very decent price http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Behringe...t-FX_i7523.htm

Quote Originally Posted by boris View Post
    To me the Z2 was a disapointment in terms of sound quality and feel - as trilla_shocka also states, it feels cheap. (I have had the DDM4000, NOX606, DJM900, Z2 and now Xone92)

From your options I would lean towards a more regular setup with Traktor externally. This gives you 4 channel opportunity and flexibility. You might start off with cheap stuff like a Behringer or reloop mixer and move to a DJM or Allen & Heath on a later stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast