Where to buy / discover real underground deep house with selection like juno records?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    44

    Default Where to buy / discover real underground deep house with selection like juno records?

    So I have been switching genres like mad and finally realized all I really care about doing is deep house. Juno Records has awesome tracks but not into paying big money and waiting for records in the mail, I don't mind paying 2-3 bucks for mp3s because I really am focusing on quality like 2-3 songs a week at most. I am not digging most of what beatport considers deep house. So naturally I need some new sources. What I use so far:

    soundcloud
    junodownload
    traxsource
    stompy
    record shops + make my own tracks ( eventually one day)

  2. #2
    Tech Guru johney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    706

    Default

    boomkat maybe?

  3. #3

    Default

    While we are all here, are there any places to buy vinyl online in the US that have a selection like Juno? I order most of my vinyl from Juno, and pay big shipping fees just to get the what I'm looking for.

    And to the OP: are you looking for cheaper vinyl? Is that the issue with Juno? If not, why not just keep downloading from Juno if you're happy with the selection?

  4. #4
    Tech Guru zimfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brighton ,UK.
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    discogs.com

    Best way of finding gems on vinyl cheaply. You just need to really crate dig and reserch heavily, resident advisor I find is good for that.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

    http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zimfella View Post
    discogs.com

    Best way of finding gems on vinyl cheaply. You just need to really crate dig and reserch heavily, resident advisor I find is good for that.
    Cool, but what about for new vinyl in the US? Does anyone have a selection that even compares to Juno Records?

  6. #6
    Tech Guru MyUsername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    Cool, but what about for new vinyl in the US? Does anyone have a selection that even compares to Juno Records?
    Maybe some labels you like are based in the US and they sell vinyl from their own site ?

    Ask the dudes from your local record store if they can order what you want perhaps.

    And aren't some people on discogs from the US as well ?

  7. #7
    Tech Wizard frequencym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    Are there any places to buy vinyl online in the US that have a selection like Juno?
    The only place left that I know of is Gramaphone. If you're looking for house or similar styles they may have what you want. All the others I knew of closed in the early 2000's.

    Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    Ask the dudes from your local record store if they can order what you want perhaps.

    And aren't some people on discogs from the US as well ?
    You're from Belgium so you wouldn't know this, but at this point vinyl shops in the US are getting pretty rare, and dance music (regardless of style) oriented shops are non-existent. What is left are mostly used record shops. The other problem is that a lot of the vinyl is coming from Europe these days and doesn't have any US distribution, so even if a local store wanted to order it for you they'd have to go through Europe to get it.

    As far as discogs, this probably depends greatly on what style you want, but for me almost all of the Discogs sellers (even for used) I order from are in Europe.

    These days my vinyl mostly comes from Toolbox Records in Paris, but shipping is crazy expensive.

  8. #8
    Tech Guru MyUsername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frequencym View Post
    You're from Belgium so you wouldn't know this, but at this point vinyl shops in the US are getting pretty rare, and dance music (regardless of style) oriented shops are non-existent. What is left are mostly used record shops. The other problem is that a lot of the vinyl is coming from Europe these days and doesn't have any US distribution, so even if a local store wanted to order it for you they'd have to go through Europe to get it.
    Ouch. But surely there are some EDM oriented records shops in San Fransico, LA or New York ???
    Maybe get in touch with them and it might save you from international shipping. Just a thought.

  9. #9
    Tech Guru Eliot Han's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    819

    Default

    there are some record shops in LA that have some gems ... Mount Analog, Dr. Freeclouds, and even Amoeba

    ↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

  10. #10
    Tech Wizard frequencym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    Ouch. But surely there are some EDM oriented records shops in San Fransico, LA or New York ???
    Maybe get in touch with them and it might save you from international shipping. Just a thought.
    I'm from Boston (where the last shop closed in 2006, but stopped carrying anything I'd buy long before that), but used to shop in NY/NJ semi-frequently. All the places I knew of in that area, Temple, Sonic Groove, Satellite, Liquid Sky, Planet X, are all long gone. But I'm not a house guy, there were plenty of of other shops in NYC that catered to house music and perhaps some of them are still left. All the techno shops are gone (if I'm wrong someone please correct me!) but then techno as a style in the US is pretty much gone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    there are some record shops in LA that have some gems ... Mount Analog, Dr. Freeclouds, and even Amoeba
    I've only been to Amoeba once; it was over 15 years ago and was the San Fran store. They had a EDM section but the selection wasn't that great, sort of reminded me of Newbury Comics in that regard (a local Boston chain that flirts with stocking some EDM here and there).

    As for Dr. Freecloud, I have personally talked to several artists/labels in the hardcore and acid genres that have tried to get Freecloud to distribute for them in the US and Freecloud never replied to any of them. Which I consider odd as he really pushes the whole early 90's acid rave scene on his web site. What is the store like?

    EDIT: Took a quick look at the Mount Analog web site; that shop looks interesting. I don't know if they stock anything I would personally buy but if they are receptive to special orders for customers that could be someplace to check out if you are on the west coast. But they charge $15 for a 12" which is about what I pay including shipping from France (given the lack of US distribution this doesn't surprise me).
    Last edited by frequencym; 09-30-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •