Do you hold back?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Do you hold back?

So a topic for DJ's alike.. at some point in time you have swapped libraries with another DJ. Now the question is, do you hold back? Do you not release those promo copies that you cherish that set you apart? I will admit that I have, and probably will again (especially if I do not know you that well). What's your opinion?

swapping a library with another dj? never have i done something like this. a few tunes, but that´s it.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

grabbed 10Gb off a mate once... I ended up sounding exactly like him for a while as half the time I didn't know what I was playing due to there being so much new stuff in my library, so I deleted everything but about 100 of my favorites. You will be much better off if you curate your own library with your own taste and generally you will remember tracks better when you can think back to that late night when you spent searching for tunes and found a gem.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

Lol, I still have 25GB I haven't gone through I either. I usually just pick and choose, I think what put a sour taste in my mouth was when a mate I used to spin with presumably started copying my whole library. I felt kinda violated after that unless it was just like a thumb drive full of tunes.

You can probably make a batch file to make it so you can't copy music from your harddrive to any usb devices plugged into your system. I'm not that great with batch files though, SMITTEN came up with a great one for disabling unneeded services, he might be a good place to start asking. Here is something I found on the interwebs..

http://www.ampercent.com/enable-disa...sb-drive/6264/

Tech Wizard

That is an insanely awesome idea! What I just started doing was mislabeling and putting my "good tracks" into a different folder upon initial DL. I usually wouldn't have any qualms about it if you asked for a track I played, but if you take all my tracks and I either:
    A) paid for a bunch of these to maintain quality tracks or
    B) got it off of a promo, my research, or my following countless artists and getting that 5 minute release at 2am because I knew they were going to do it and not release the track for another month.

That time and effort (kinda like the old crate digging) is what I think justifies me to do that.
    If you want a track or two, then that's fine, if you rape my drive I will put malware on your computer. Lol.
    Then again, if I know you, and I know you put in the type of work to find tracks like I do, then I have no problem swapping... Because chances are you have some crazy stuff I don't and I know you appreciate it too. I feel like a bit of a music snob.

just curious about why one would need to disable their usb-ports? why would you let someone take stuff from you computer? like:
    "yeah mate, cool. i´ll lent you my laptop for a few days..."
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Wizard

Mine was actually a hard drive and not a computer, but I could see his stance if you let him plug in and all of a sudden he's surfing areas he shouldn't.

I played a party, went to have some fun and came back seeing the copy was about 60% done, I was pretty pissed off as except for that indiscretion a few years ago, I pay for all my tracks, not only with money but with a lot of time. I'm all for teaching a noob the ropes and what producers and labels put out great stuff consistently, but that's just a douche move.

I've done it a few times in the past but it's just a handful of tracks here and there and it's always bootlegs or edits my mates have done that are willing to part with.

Other than that i protect all my music and nobody gets near it and i don't go near anyone elses music. It's called respect i guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast