Custom MIDI Map - Change focused deck?

Default Custom MIDI Map - Change focused deck?

Hi All

Wondering if there is a way to change the currently "focused" deck. I have a M-Audio Radium 49 that i'm using as my traktor controller. Some functions, like looping, seem to only work on the "Focused" deck, while in order to conserve buttons, i've done some mappings for controls to map to the focused deck. Eg I rarely use EQ (thanks for those fat filters NI!) but in the event that I do, i just have 3 faders that adjust EQ for whatever the focused deck is.

Anyway, there are some scenarios that require me to change the "focused" deck, and it would be great to do so without having to click on the computer. Any thoughts?

Tech Guru

there is no way to do this atm. the focused deck is determined by the hardcoded setting for each general midi controller. NI unfortunately failed to make the focused deck controllable via a modifier.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

i'm not sure if it is what you're looking for but try these steps:
    preferences -> midi mapping
    then click add->view->deck focus select
    then you can change the usual parameters for that function and choose your button/knob with the 'learn' button.. hope this helps!

sj03w4t ftw! thank you! that gets 'er done. thanks.

haha great! no problems mate have fun!

Tech Guru

Default Re: Custom MIDI Map - Change focused deck?

ah doh sorry i seem to have misinderstood your question. glad that someone else didnt and properly answered your question.
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Scuse the ignorance.....but what exactly does the Deck Focus do.

It allows you to tell traktor which deck you want to focus on?

How does this work and when would you use it?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

its just a convenience tool for midi mapping. you can set midi mappings to target "the deck in focus" and you can set the "deck in focus" via a midi assignment. i used this for example to extend the standard juggle mode in Ean's VCI mapping to allow using all of the 8 buttons to handle cue points 1-8 on the deck in focus.

Default midi controller

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Scuse the ignorance.....but what exactly does the Deck Focus do.

It allows you to tell traktor which deck you want to focus on?

How does this work and when would you use it?
    I was using this technique to maximize the number of knobs I can use on the focused deck - the value of this when you're using your own midi controller mapping is more clear. Before I got my VCI I was using my Radium 49 key standard midi controller which had 8 rotary knobs and 8 faders, and I used the piano keys for various functions, in a way very similar to how Ean uses his Oxygen 8. Being able to switch focus meant I could have dedicated knobs for the "in focus" deck, rather than assigning knobs to deck A and deck B for the same function.