SL3 purchased. Why did I wait so long?
    Tech Guru

Default SL3 purchased. Why did I wait so long?

Finally got round to buying a SL3 and playing last night via SSL confirmed everything I suspected.
    I've felt so stale and clinical when using Traktor recently, even with DVS. A 2 hour mix last night with SSL was a joy. I felt like I was using a big record bag and enjoyed every second. I felt more connected to the music, time codes felt tighter, to my ears the music sounded warmer and I felt like I was playing more from my heart.
    I can't explain why this is. Maybe it's just a change of software rather than any real difference. DVS shouldn't feel massively different and I guess they weren't but Serato felt more organic.
    Looks like I'm converting for good. Will miss modifiers and messing with mapping but that's about it.
    Advice to anyone else pondering a switch on my experiences so far would be to go for it. Early days but it's great to feel it again (again I can't explain why).
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

I wonder if the sound quality and integration have anything to do with your Traktor interface. Were you using Audio 6 or similar? Thinking about adding timecode soon, and on the fence as to which one to push towards. I own both products, but the mixer and cdjs will be the big question.
    Transcendent Tuesdays weekly DNB on www.KRISISDnB.com 8:30-10pm UK time.

Tech Mentor

Traktor makes the sounds so cold when you mix. I don't really understand why either as they offer like 5 mixer options, all copying existing big-brand-mixers, yet the P800 still sounds way less warm than the DJM800 it's copied off...

But good to hear, enjoy

Yeah, i can definitely hear a difference in tracks played on both programs, when running through the VCI 400, but it is also limited to 48khz, and wonder if stepping up to say, a denon 1700 with 96khz and 32 bit DAC, would help traktor or make the difference that much more obvious.

Tech Guru

Definite difference in warmth. I've used an Audio 6 and an Echo Audiofire with Traktor. I'm sure it's something to do with the program.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

gah.. that sucks too, because I love being able to map echo freeze, beatmasher, and other effects. Serato DJ requires that extra midi.. and I am still not even sure if they will support the Denon 1700, and I personally cant afford a $2000+ mixer AND CDJs...

Guess I will just have to go with the 3900's, 1700, and just use Engine with external HD..
    Last edited by flpanhandler; 10-05-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    Traktor makes the sounds so cold when you mix. I don't really understand why either as they offer like 5 mixer options, all copying existing big-brand-mixers, yet the P800 still sounds way less warm than the DJM800 it's copied off...

But good to hear, enjoy
    that has nothing to do with sound warmth, just EQ freq/kill.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    that has nothing to do with sound warmth, just EQ freq/kill.
    That's my point; if you use a Pioneer DJM800, it will sound a lot different than when you choose the P800 mixer in Traktor, which uses the same frequencies the DJM800 does. That's why they call it the P800. And that's why I don't understand why is still sounds so... different.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    That's my point; if you use a Pioneer DJM800, it will sound a lot different than when you choose the P800 mixer in Traktor, which uses the same frequencies the DJM800 does. That's why they call it the P800. And that's why I don't understand why is still sounds so... different.
    Why would one buy a 2k mixer if you can get exact same quality reproduction in a DJ software. Same is with low filter resonance in the mixer section. I truly hope that some updates will come when NI release new hybrid controller/mixer.