Weird problem with Traktor + DJM 900 Nexus (using mixer's internal card)
    Tech Convert

Default Weird problem with Traktor + DJM 900 Nexus (using mixer's internal card)

Hi,

Last saturday I experienced a really confusing problem. I hooked up my Macbook Pro running Traktor 2.6.3 via USB to the Pioneer DJM-900 Nexus, using the mixer's built in soundcard, and using Traktor in external mixing mode.
    Everything was configured as I'd done and used successfully the week before, at another club that has the same mixer model.

At first the 2 channels on the mixer that I assigned to Traktor's A and B decks worked perfectly, and continued to do so for at least 20 minutes into my set.

All of a sudden, there was a very strange mixup: Volume faders for each mixer channel kept working fine for the Traktor deck that was assigned to them, BUT somehow, the EQ controls (lows, mids and highs) for deck B transferred to mixer channel 3, which I had assigned to Deck A. Thus, both deck's EQ controls became assigned to a single channel's EQ knobs . For example:

BEFORE PROBLEM:
    Traktor Deck A (assigned to Mixer Channel 3)
    Deck Volume = Mixer channel 3 Fader OK
    Deck EQ = Mixer Channel 3 EQ knobs OK

Traktor Deck B (assigned to Mixer Channel 4)
    Deck Volume = Mixer channel 4 Fader OK
    Deck EQ = Mixer Channel 4 EQ knobs OK

AFTER PROBLEM
    Traktor Deck A (assigned to Mixer Channel 3)
    Deck Volume = Mixer channel 3 Fader OK
    Deck EQ = Mixer Channel 3 EQ knobs OK

Traktor Deck B (assigned to Mixer Channel 4)
    Deck Volume = Mixer channel 4 Fader OK
    Deck EQ = Mixer Channel 3 EQ knobs FAIL

Thus, both of the mixer's channel faders worked fine and controlled the volume level of the deck that was assigned to them, but BOTH Traktor decks' EQ levels became assigned to a single mixer channel's EQ knobs. Needles to say, mixing was impossible. Thankfully, the next dj stepped in using CDJ's hooked up to channels 1 and 2.

I checked my Traktor's preferences and everything seemed to be in order. The only thing that comes to mind is asking the club owner for permission to upgrade the DJM-900's firmware, but I somehow doubt that a simple firmware upgrade will correct such a huge functionality fault.

Any ideas from forum members?

Thanks,

Diego

Tech Guru

Probably not the answer you are expecting, but I honestly not sure why the mapping got messed up. KEEP IT SIMPLE, you have one of the best mixers made at your use, it's a sin to map the eq's and faders to traktor internal EQ's and faders. It's straight bizarre.....maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Probably not the answer you are expecting, but I honestly not sure why the mapping got messed up. KEEP IT SIMPLE, you have one of the best mixers made at your use, it's a sin to map the eq's and faders to traktor internal EQ's and faders. It's straight bizarre.....maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote
    you misunderstood, he's was mixing in external mode.

DJDL, you probably enabled midi by pressing the button on the upper right side of the mixer and you have mapping in traktor that picked up midi from the mixer. how are you controling traktor - loading, browsing, etc.?
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Convert

Thanks guys.

I am indeed using the Nexus as the external mixer, with no custom or midi mappings at all. I also had a Kontrol X1 for browsing, loading and transport controls. Nevertheless, at other gigs I also use this same laptop and Traktor with either a Denon DN-MC6000 or a Traktor Kontrol Z1 mixer. Those mappings and files are there indeed.

Your suggestion of an accidental press of the midi mode is interesting. I did not even know that there was such a button, and I don't remember pressing or touching anything that I was not familiar with. I'll try to experiment with that when I get a chance to use that mixer again in a non live situation. If anything, to guarantee that I can get myself out of that uncomfortable jam in the future. In the meantime, I'll have to bring a sound card next time I use the Nexus :/

Anyway, thanks for the answers!

Tech Guru

If the EQs and faders aren't matched up while mixing externally that suggests there's something seriously wrong with the mixer itself.

You could ask on the PioneerDJ forums as they have direct contact with the engineering teams.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Convert

Well, the mixer works fine for those using CDJs or Traktor via a separate sound card. So it seems more of a problem configuring the combination of software and hardware that I was using. What troubles me the most, is the fact that there were no problems initially. That's why I find the MIDI button suggestion interesting, as perhaps this was depressed by me or the other DJ unwillingly at some point.

I would definitely give pio a call or email or something. Thats not right.