Scratching question

Default Scratching question

When/how often should I scratch in a mix of any length? I'll be playing a variety of genres (hip hop, electronic) thanks for the help

Use your ears!

I scratch a lot - especially in hip hip or when combining genres.

Tech Guru

If you are any good, I thinks it sounds ok to get a little tricky every once in awhile (maybe like once every 5 tracks if you are a pro) When it comes to hip hop, I personally almost always baby and or cut up a track I'm dropping into the blend, but I'm not considering that as scratching. I would say the better your scratches are, the more often it will sound good in a mix, and vice versa
    Last edited by manchild; 10-08-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Some of it is down to personal preference, but I think it also depends how good you are. If you're just a beginner with scratching, keep it to a minimum.

I scratch during most transitions, even if it's just something subtle like a fading baby scratch to take a tune out of the mix. I'll also usually do a couple of short solos.

If it's a studio mix, I might add some multi-tracked layered parts like this: -

http://www.sigmamixes.com/misc/cuts.mp3

I could write an essay on this.

Depends what you mean by scratching - and I'm sure Sigma can back me up on this.

A baby scratch when bringing in a new track is so basic, that to me, it hardly even counts as scratching. Scratching a kick drum (which is the sound you'll most likely be cutting if you're introducing a new track with a baby scratch) will rarely sound bad over any out-going track. It doesn't take a lot of thought or effort to get great effects when introducing a track with a baby scratch. It is a cornerstone of EVERY scratch DJ's arsenal.

But, scratching a sentence/numerous sentances/words, over an instrumental section, or a break down can really lift your set. Well thought out question and answer type scratch sentences really prick the listeners interest, and keeps the listeners on their toes!

I LOVE when a DJ (and Scratch Bastid is GREAT at this) scratches sentances or quotes that relate the tune being played. I've lost count of the times I've said to myself (and usually out loud) "you clever bugger!" when listening to Scratch Bastids mixes. DJ Yoda's older stuff also had really clever use of scratch sounds/sentences/quotes.

The answer to your question, though, is not easy. The best way, is to record your mixes and listen to them back. You'll soon be able to tell if you're scratching so much that it gets boring.

One well placed, well thought out, well executed scratch routine is better than a few mediocre ones.

PRO TIP: You are more likely to find that you should scratch LESS, rather thanmore if you use the listening back method.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Yeah, a lot of it is down to experience. Bad stuff I hear in mixes fairly regularly: -

1. Technically poor scratching. When practicing, obviously you need to push yourself and sometimes you'll sound like crap. In a mix though, I think you need to stay within limits of what you can do well. Simple and clean is better than sloppy attempts at trying to do complicated stuff.

2. Scratching that's too loud.

3. Scratching in weird places. For example, I've heard mixes where the DJ just randomly starts scratching in the middle of a verse, over the top of vocals, then they stop in a random place too. It sounds like they were rehearsing in their headphones without realising it was being recorded.

4. Scratching too much/not enough. I don't like hearing hip-hop mixes with no scratching in them at all. It always makes me think "if you're a hip-hop DJ, how come you can't do any scratching, not even the basics?". But you can definitely put too much scratching in a mix too (for my tastes), although that's largely a matter of opinion and it depends on the target audience. I always say that using any DJ effect, scratching included, should be like adding seasoning to a meal. Don't add any and the meal might be OK, but somewhat bland. Add too much and you'll ruin it. But there are times where you might add a ton of scratching to a mix, for example, if you had good skills and you were making a "scratch mix" aimed at a specific audience that enjoys turntablism. With a mix you're putting out for anyone to enjoy, I think you need to try and find the right balance where you do some technical stuff that will please the people who notice that, but don't go so far with it that you're pissing off the people who are thinking "stop scratching and just play the damn song!".

so would teasing the mix every 4-5 songs or so with some quick beat juggling, scratches be just enough?