Microphone Setup with Traktor S4 MK2
    Tech Student

Default Microphone Setup with Traktor S4 MK2

I just recently purchased an S4 mkII and wanted to know the best and easiest way to connect a microphone to maximize volume and clarity, but minimize feedback. I just use my s4 with two EV115p pa's and a sub.

Tech Wizard

Don't cup the ball of the mic like MC's do. Hold it by the barrel instead. Cupping them plays hell with the polar response pattern and can induce feedback
    Keep it close so your lips are almost touching it
    Don't point it at the speakers

Tech Student

Thanks I actually know how to hold a microphone... My main concern was the actual setup of the microphone with the Traktor Kontrol s4 mk2 unit since they changed up the mic input on the back. Originally I was using the "thru" input and just flipping a switch to turn my mic on and off which worked perfectly but now i dont have that and more or less want to know how other people are connecting their mics and the best way to do so.

It should be like the mkI which means there are 2 ways to route the mic.
    This way https://www.native-instruments.com/k...hone+in+a+Deck
    Or for an explanation of a basic microphone setup, refer to the chapter "Adding a Microphone" in the Traktor Kontrol S4 Manual.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djtrage View Post
    Thanks I actually know how to hold a microphone...
    Didn't mean to make it sound like I was trying to teach you how to suck eggs mate.
    My day job is a live sound engineer and I work on the principle of Garbage In, Garbage Out

You were asking about maximising volume and clarity whilst minimising feedback

That all starts with microphone technique. The only way of making it sound worse from this point is by getting the gain wrong (too weak or too hot) and having the Signal to Noise Ratio out of whack or clipping the signal at some point in the chain

Re-reading your original post I see that you were asking about connections etc. I can't speak for the Mk2 as I've only got the Mk1