Kinda missing my tables.....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Kinda missing my tables.....

So I own an S4 and have been getting used to the controller thing after being a vinyl scratch dj for years. So far I have been liking the experience but I noticed that the digital aspect (i.e. use of cue points and effects, etc.) has drastically changed my mixes from what I had been used to using vinyl. So my girlfriend bought me a class at dubspot this past weekend as a gift, so I went and checked it out. When I walked into the classroom the first thing I noticed was that each station had 2 tech 12's or 1210's, either a rane or pioneer mixer, and a cdj. The software loaded up was SSL as well and I had only used traktor so this was going to be a new experience for me. Now I never used time code before, so I was pretty excited to give it a shot. Well I can tell you that after dropping the needle for the first time I was feeling quite nostalgic. The feel of vinyl is an experience like nothing else and I found myself immediately missing my tables. Also, I found SSL MUCH easier to beat match with the stacked waveforms and just the ability of being able to nudge the way I knew how (still getting used to it on the S4).

I dont think im ready to give up on my S4 as im sure all I need is practice, but the experience definitely got me reconsidering my controller decision. Has this happened to anyone else after switching from vinyl to a controller? Did you make the switch back?

Tech Guru

You can always add a turntable or two to the S4, as long as you have Traktor Scratch.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

why not just go into a NS7?? best of both worlds.. its what I use

Tech Mentor

Not quite the answer to the question you asked but you would be surprised at how many people on here started out as controllerists and have developed into turntabilists. I started on controllers, had an S4, bought 1210's after getting a free upgrade offer to Scratch from NI and never looked back. The S4 is gone but the 1210's will never be sold and I will at some point buy another couple of tt's.

I use the Z2, the best thing about it (for me) is instant switching between real vinyl and timecode with no hassles, I can't and won't comment on SSL v TSP but honestly I find timecode way better than controller jog wheels, just feels natural and makes more sense.

It means more expense to change your set up, but from the tone of your post I'd say timecode would be more satisfying for you. Best have a think about what gives you the most pleasure, see where your heads at then work out a budget to change (if you want too)

Sounds to me like the NS7 and Serato dj could be the best of both worlds for you?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Sounds to me like the NS7 and Serato dj could be the best of both worlds for you?
    well to be honest I still find more potential in traktor over serato, I was only commenting on the fact that stackable wave forms is literally the easiest way to beat match I've ever come across. I love the S4 dont get me wrong, it's just very different. Anyway I still have my old str8-80s and my vestax 06pro in their cases collecting dust, maybe I'll have to look into the scratch upgrade. I just wish there was a crossfader curve adjust on the S4 :/

Tech Guru

There's crossfader adjust in Traktor's mixer settings.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    There's crossfader adjust in Traktor's mixer settings.
    I can't believe I never thought to look in the settings for a curve adjust, I'm so used to it being a knob on my mixer. Thanks lol thats embarassing

Quote Originally Posted by lemeiux1 View Post
    well to be honest I still find more potential in traktor over serato, I was only commenting on the fact that stackable wave forms is literally the easiest way to beat match I've ever come across. I love the S4 dont get me wrong, it's just very different. Anyway I still have my old str8-80s and my vestax 06pro in their cases collecting dust, maybe I'll have to look into the scratch upgrade. I just wish there was a crossfader curve adjust on the S4 :/
    I own both traktor and serato. They are almost identical in how they work, After the next update SDJ will be on par with Traktor. Only thing I like better about Traktor is the fact it always works well, serato can be a pain if you don't have a mac.

You should have both running dude, your vinyl set up when you're feeling nostalgic and an s4 for doing gigs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by anteater32 View Post
    Not quite the answer to the question you asked but you would be surprised at how many people on here started out as controllerists and have developed into turntabilists. I started on controllers, had an S4, bought 1210's after getting a free upgrade offer to Scratch from NI and never looked back. The S4 is gone but the 1210's will never be sold and I will at some point buy another couple of tt's.

I use the Z2, the best thing about it (for me) is instant switching between real vinyl and timecode with no hassles, I can't and won't comment on SSL v TSP but honestly I find timecode way better than controller jog wheels, just feels natural and makes more sense.

It means more expense to change your set up, but from the tone of your post I'd say timecode would be more satisfying for you. Best have a think about what gives you the most pleasure, see where your heads at then work out a budget to change (if you want too)
    Yep, this was me. S4 ---> 1200s ---> happiness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast