DJ Music Pools

Thread: DJ Music Pools

Default DJ Music Pools

I've always been a bedroom DJ rather than a professional and always just messed about with gear like a kid with new toys.

However, I'm now considering putting more serious effort into it and begin to play publicly as soon as I'm confident.

The one thing putting me off as a new DJ is the cost of music. True, individual songs from Beatport and iTunes are not particularly expensive per se. However, the issue for new non-gig playing DJs is that songs become outdated within a couple of weeks nowadays. Therefore to refresh a set almost on a monthly basis can become expensive for bedroom and beginner DJs.

For this reason, I've been looking into DJ music pools. I've currently signed up to Digital DJ Pool for the $1 for 5 days trial, followed by $12 per month if I continue. However, they mostly just have chart/poppy music and remixes of them. A better option seems to be DJ City, but at £60 up front, it's pretty expensive (even though that does last 3 months).

I'm just wondering if anybody is aware of any hidden gems in terms of music pools that has depth of quality as well as reasonably priced. I do have a Spotify Premium subscription but don't believe I can download tracks from there in high quality, plus DJ promos and remixes are rarer there.

Anyone got any pointers?

PS: I've read the DJTT blog post about music pools but just wondering what others are doing.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

I can't speak to DJ pools, specifically, but I just had to jump in and mention that a hot track is a hot track, no matter how old it is. Don't give up on those over-2-week-old bangers!

Tech Mentor

I'm so glad I don't play shit genres.

I've never found a DJ pool that was worth my time... Waste of $$$ imo

Be happy that you don't have to buy vinyl anymore. A single piece of wax would cost more than $10 for usually just one good track lol

I can speak for myself and say that I love using DJCity as my record pool (although I've never tried any other). Its an investment, thats for sure, but one I dont mind spending. I personally play a lot of open format events that require top 40s, remixes, hip hop, and edm, and I always feel prepared at all my gigs.

There is also no limit to your downloads, so if you're willing to try it for the 3 months, stock up on as much tracks as you can and cancel before it renews. And before you buy it, plan for a mock gig and see if their catalog is diverse enough to provide you with a good track list. They don't have everything, but they're pretty dang close, I would highly recommend it.

Tech Convert

Just discovered bpmsupreme.com and I like it

20$ a month for unlimited download, up to 3 downloads of each song versions, a lot of stuff, including videos.

Lot of versions, remixes, etc.

A good option imo

cheers

Yeah, just been doing research on pools this evening and BPM Supreme popped up.

However, for EDM and sheer volume of remixes, Beat Legend looks like it could potentially be good.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.