Do i need new carts?
    Tech Convert

Default Do i need new carts?

Hi All,

I have been DJing for over 12 years now and have been a TSP user for around 4 years.

I have used the carts and stylus that came with my first "beginner" decks and then purchased a pair of Ortofon Concorde Scratch needles (full cart and stylus) when I got my 2010's. Since that day, over 10 years ago, I have only ever replaced the stylus, never the cart.

Do i need to? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any advice.

do you have problems with it? if its not broke, why replace it?
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

If they are working properly carts never have to be replaced. just the styli when they become worn or when the suspension becomes non-responsive (common when you use a lot of tone arm weight and do a lot of scratching)

The only time a cart may need replacing is if through damage or constant removing of styli the contacts inside the cart and the stylus become worn and have a poor connection. However this is really rare. And you'd know because you'd have things like audio drop outs, static or only one channel coming in.

Good job,I appreciate your work.

^nice one.

If your needles work, and you don't have issues,no need to change them. It all depends in how often they get used, how rough on them you are, how clean your wax is, etc. Good rule of thumb, if your tunes don't sound all distorted, you don't need to change them. Just look at the point, and if it's not mangled, you're probably ok.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.