How can I convert an MP3 file to a DATA file?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How can I convert an MP3 file to a DATA file?

Hi guys,

I need to email a promoter a mix to me so he can hand out the mix to loads of other promoters and other producers/DJ's. I was just wondering how you can convert an MP3 file to a DATA file. He said that they won't download a full hour long mix which is 320kbps with MP3, they want it to be quick so they use a DATA file. Unfortunately, I've looked around on Google etc. and I can't find the answer. Maybe you guys can help me out?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

First of all, I'm pretty familiar with music formats, and I don't know what the hell a DATA file is. Secondly, whatever format that is, you don't want to convert your mp3 to it directly. Rather, you should be converting to it from WAV or some other lossless format so you don't lose data IMO. You'll want them to have the best representation of the music you're playing which you won't get converting from a format such as MP3 to something else.

I've never heard of a "DATA file" in relation to audio. If it was some compression format that was a lot more efficient than MP3 (hence they can download your mix quicker), I'm sure I'd have heard of it already.

Can you ask them to clarify what they mean?

Do you think they mean they just want the mp3 as a data file, rather than as a burnt CD? He probably burned a bunch of promo CDs to hand out, and the guy he gave them to doesn't want to rip the CD to mp3 format for him.

Not seeing it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_file_format

In fact, send him this list and ask which one he's looking for hah.

To be honest, though, if they're just using the mix to get a gauge of your skill and style, there's probably no reason to have it at 320 kbps; 128 kbps should be fine. Unless they're using it on some big sound system without your permission...

ADAT?

http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarge...efinition/ADAT

It's a very professional (expensive) audio format.

I dare say he was having a bit of a laugh at your expense if he did ask for a mix on ADAT.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by patch View Post
    adat?

http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarge...efinition/adat

it's a very professional (expensive) audio format.

I dare say he was having a bit of a laugh at your expense if he did ask for a mix on adat.
    brilliant!!!!
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

I very much doubt that they meant ADAT.

I have transferred zip files via email by renaming the extension to .doc. Then they re-name it back to .zip, but generally did this to stop certain mail providers blocking zip files. You can change an mp3 extension name, send it and then change it back, but it doesn't reduce the file size

Most emails will only accept around 5mb to be sent. You can get a single track down to that on low bitrate mp3, but that's it.

Why don't you ask this promoter to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I dare say he was having a bit of a laugh at your expense if he did ask for a mix on ADAT.
    I agree, this sort of gives it away, as well:

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Crisis View Post
    I need to email a promoter a mix to me so he can hand out the mix to loads of other promoters and other producers/DJ's.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Why hasn't this promoter (or you) just given a Mixcloud link..?

If he is gonna "hand out the mix" he can just pass on the link. No need to spend an agonising 5 minutes (obviously he's in a hurry) downloading an MP3.

Either there has been a mix up in communication with this promoter or he is yanking your chain.
    BTW - I have never heard of a promoter passing on DJ mixes to "loads" of other promoters, producers and DJ's. This simply does not happen or he would be charging you for his agency skills.

Sounds dodgy mate, honestly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast