Am I in the wrong? Bad craigslist experience...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Am I in the wrong? Bad craigslist experience...

So I recently sold my QSC K12s along with all my traktor DJ stuff so I could buy a pair of CDJ900's I found a craigslist listing for a pair of them with cases, and we decided on the price of 1900 for them, which is less than what was asked and he was giving me a "deal". I had just barely scraped up enough money to buy these. I thought he was sort of giving me a deal cause he could tell I was eager and excited to get them, y'know just some good 'ol DJ endearing stuff.

At school right now my only means of transportation is the city bus, and it would have been a 2 hour bus ride to meet up with this guy, as well as having to go 1 hour in the opposite direction to reach my bank to withdraw the money needed. This is because I am going to school in Canada and am from the U.S., there appeared according to google only one Chase Bank in all of vancouver. He also encouraged me to find a ride as he didn't want me to get robbed on the city bus carrying two large coffin case (unlikely, but I saw his concern).

My mom called and asked if I wanted to have lunch sometime soon cause my grandma was in town, so we planned to have lunch today as well as pick up the CDJs, win-win situation.

I had arranged to arrive at this guys house at little after 1pm today, and that I would be paying in cash.

My mother picked me up from my dorm at about 11:30 and we drove to where the only Chase Bank was, supposedly. Got to the address downtown, and to my surprise, no chase bank. Actually turned out, there isn't a single one in all of vancouver.

I texted the CDJ guy explaining the situation, and I knew that we had agreed on cash, but asked if he would accept a check (from my mom, as I would understand his reluctancy to accept such a large check from some "foreign" college kid). He said he wanted cash, he has had bad experienced with checks, and would have it no other way. I told him I would figure it out and get back to him.

We went to a bank, explained the situation, and they told us they couldn't really help us other than that we should get money out of an ATM. I had 300$ on hand. My ATM limit was 1000$, I withdrew this. My grandma's ATM limit was 400$ (different country, large amount out of ATM would be a red flag most likely). My mother did not bring an ATM card, only a credit card that can't withdraw money from an ATM.

So with 1700$ in hand, I asked him if he would accept a 200$ check for the rest. Once again, he said he needed all cash.

We sat in the card and thought of everything we could try to get money somehow. Long story short, it just was not happening.

We were at a grocery store, waiting for my dad to call back so we could ask him to western union some money (we had come this far, didn't want to quit now). And then I received a series of angry texts from this guy.

It was about 3ish o'clock now.

"That's it. No deal. I've wasted my entire saturday waiting for you to show up. No deal"

to which I replied that I was very sorry (he knew the whole storyline up to this point as I was updating him on the situation constantly as he was asking), and that this was sort of out of my hands and I didn't expect all this. I asked if we could meet up on a different day, once again apologizing for "wasting his entire saturday". Which in reality was less than 2 hours of his time. And I had also gone through a bunch of crap, having my family come up to help me with all this.

He then replied "I hear ya! shit happens but I've got things to do, I've got a life a too. So no, no more deals no nothing."

Somewhat chocked at his reaction, I decided it wasn't worth it to try to talk to this guy any further. So in defeat, we drove back, got lunch and that was that. There are a couple other listings on CL for the same thing and I'm picking up a different listing on monday.

I know this long-winded and whatnot, but I just need to vent it somehow

So, did I fuck up? Or is he as I'm inclined to think just being a fucking unreasonable asshole for no reason? I know I promised him cash, and a deals to deal, but I wasted a bunch of my time too (don't really mind) to make this work, wasn't just him "suffering" from all this.

Thoughts...?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

To be fair, you turned your problem into his problem, which while not your problem certainly was not his to begin with and could have been avoided by you either withdrawing the cash in advance or making a phone call to see if the bank even exists.

You say he "only" took 2 hours out of his day, but you honestly don't know if he scarified a gig, hot date, day at the beach etc to stay home and meet up with a sure buyer.

Just sayin' if you agree to buy gear, have the cash ready, no way I would dream of taking a check from anyone I didn't know personally EVER offering a check for differing amounts TWICE - sounds really dodgy and you are even less legit.

BTW, you do know Amazon have spanky brand new 900's for $1100 each at the moment, its a lil' more than you were expecting to pay, but they will be brand new, with shop warranty rather than dealing with S/H CDJ's who's history you have no idea of (probably gigged if they were flight cased)

For the sake of a few hundred seems crazy and certainly not a "deal" IMHO
    Last edited by deevey; 10-13-2013 at 03:07 AM.

Yes you are in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    You say he "only" took 2 hours out of his day, but you honestly don't know if he scarified a gig, hot date, day at the beach etc to stay home and meet up with a sure buyer.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    To be fair, you turned your problem into his problem, which while not your problem certainly was not his to begin with and could have been avoided by you either withdrawing the cash in advance or making a phone call to see if the bank even exists.

Just sayin' if you agree to buy gear, have the cash ready, no way I would dream of taking a check from anyone I didn't know personally EVER offering a check for differing amounts TWICE - sounds really dodgy and you are even less legit.

BTW, you do know Amazon have spanky brand new 900's for $1100 each at the moment, its a lil' more than you were expecting to pay, but they will be brand new, with shop warranty rather than dealing with S/H CDJ's who's history you have no idea of (probably gigged if they were flight cased)

For the sake of a few hundred seems crazy and certainly not a "deal" IMHO
    I guess you could see it that way, but I do feel if something important was going on in his life he should so, as I was pretty clear that while I'd like to meet up soon, there was no urgency or specific time that he needed to adhere to.

Whatever, the listings been up for over a month now and it can stay that way for all i care

Well, I've got 1985$ to my name right now, simply don't have 2200$+tax+shipping to shell out. And I'm looking at another pair that have never left their coffin case that comes with them for 1900$.

You should have had your mum call her bank and link up her transaction account to her credit card, It only takes a couple of minutes to do, you can also generally raise your atm withdrawal limit over the phone or on the internet. Also you could have had a bank cheque written by any bank.. They are as good as cash.

As Deevey said you should have called your bank, they would of provided you the options that you have available.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Guru

I wouldn't say you messed up......I mean ish happens. Just wasn't meant to happen I guess. You did f*ck up when you wrote this thread though........not trying to be mean but get to the point.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    Also you could have had a bank cheque written by any bank.. They are as good as cash.
    How does that work in other countries?
    In UK it would have to be made out to 'cash' so that he could get cash over the counter.

Seems like this seller wanted to avoid all bank transactions. Could be self employed and didn't want the money hitting his account cus he wasn't declaring the sale as income (again, maybe a UK thing, i dont know how the US tax system works).

OP: Cash means cash, simple as that. I think there's some naivety thinking that this guy would take a cheque. There are many reasons for just accepting cash.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 10-13-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Spelled 'cheque' correctly.

A bank cheque in Australia is written from the banks internal ledger. Essentially you are paying the bank your money in exchange for theirs. We consider it to be a guarantee that the money will go through since it's the banks money being exchanged. We use them over here for purchasing cars and paying bond on a house or really anywhere you don't want to walk around with a few thousand in cash but still need to buy something, The catch is the recipient still has to wait usually 1-2 days until the money is cleared as the bank cheque needs to be verified as legitimate.

We don't really do cash cheques anymore accept for the older generation where exceptions are made, but when that generation end's cheques will be forgotten all together as they are a hassle to verify and it has to be done by a human.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Ah yeah, in the UK i think we call those 'bankers drafts' but I think the banks stopped issuing them in recent years.

Tech Guru

Seems like this seller wanted to avoid all bank transactions. Could be self employed and didn't want the money hitting his account cus he wasn't declaring the sale as income (again, maybe a UK thing, i dont know how the US tax system works).
    Here's the deal with that in the US. If someone has a decent counterfeit check, when the bank processes it, it will post to your account and look like a legitimate transfer of funds. But the bank will eventually find the error and pull those funds back out of your account. This applies to all types of checks (money orders, etc). We have secured checks (like a cashier's check) as well, but the same applies. So it's very common to have someone on a site like Craigslist stipulate cash only. It's not because they want to avoid a bank or cheat their taxes. It's because that kind of fraud is commonplace here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast