4-Deck DJ Controllers - advantages?

Default 4-Deck DJ Controllers - advantages?

I am very new to DJing, so please bear with my simple question:

Why might a DJ want a 4-deck controller (as opposed to 2-deck), and in what ways would I be limited if I only have 2 decks available?

if you want to use more than 2 tracks at once, get a 4 deck controller.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

2 decks for 2 deck controller. 3 or 4 for 4 deck controller
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Tech Guru

2 deck controllers mimic any other common "2 input" system...in terms of gross workflow...be it 2 CDs or 2 turntables. If your DJ style can be accommodated with 2 input devices, then a 2 deck controller is likely a good place to start. 2 deck controllers tend to be smaller, more portable, and less expensive than their larger cousins. The trade off is that with less space, there tend to be fewer dedicated controls (things like filter knobs, etc).

4 deck controllers allow semi-direct access and control of 4 decks. None (that I have seen) have 4 jog wheels. But they do allow access to 4 line channel faders, and more dedicated controls. These controllers tend to be larger, and more expensive than their smaller cousins.

Most of the "4 deck" techniques involve layering remix decks, or loops over a 2 deck "mix." The techniques that are being developed are well suited to "routines" and not as well suited for "live mixing." That may or may not change over time....controllerism seems to be (mostly) focused on the youtube video as the main performance space. While some controllerism techniques are well suited to live mixing...most of those focus on the control of two decks...perhaps with some additional controller for cue point jumping.

The differences in features are real. The issue is that the decision about which set of features to choose is based mostly on the style of the DJ and the intended workflow. The good news is that it only takes $$$ to change you mind later.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

The best 4 deck controller is ala Felix da Housecat style.

2 X1's and a 4 channel digital mixer. Just add buttons on top (midi fighter, F1 etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaek View Post
    The best 4 deck controller is ala Felix da Housecat style.

2 X1's and a 4 channel digital mixer. Just add buttons on top (midi fighter, F1 etc).
    For sure.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Default 4-Deck DJ Controllers - advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Most of the "4 deck" techniques involve layering remix decks, or loops over a 2 deck "mix." The techniques that are being developed are well suited to "routines" and not as well suited for "live mixing." That may or may not change over time....controllerism seems to be (mostly) focused on the youtube video as the main performance space. While some controllerism techniques are well suited to live mixing...most of those focus on the control of two decks...perhaps with some additional controller for cue point jumping.
    Cool - thanks, SiMDJ - that's exactly what I wanted to know. I think a 2-deck mixer will be plenty for me for now, and should save me a few Benjamins. Appreciate your time!