Help getting my head around a DJ setup (Traktor + DB4 + X1)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help getting my head around a DJ setup (Traktor + DB4 + X1)

Hi all,

1st post so please be nice! I've been slowly getting myself into DJing over the last 18 months after a friend started teaching me on his setup. I learned the basics on his totally analogue vinyl setup which I love, but I haven't the space for it. I also spend a lot of time travelling with work between two cities, so I tend to take my kit with me wherever I go, which makes vinyl a no no.

So when I decided to start myself, I bought myself a Traktor S2 and started tooling around with mp3's and my laptop. I outgrew this fairly quickly and traded up for a Traktor S4 which has served me very well for just over a year now; its very portable so I can take it with me on my travels, and has all of the functions I want to make a decent mix (mostly drum & bass but I'm branching out).

The S4 however is starting to get a bit worn from travelling, and some of the buttons are starting to get a bit iffy in their operation so I'm thinking of upgrading and branching out a bit more. My friend has an Allen & Heath mixer, and frankly the feel of it, and especially the sound of the filters (especially in DnB) are a massive draw and so I would love to get myself one, and have been thinking about a DB4.

To retain some of the functions I've come to love from the S4, I'd also like to combine this probably with a pair of Traktor X1s, so I can still travel with these, and plug them into a mixer wherever I happen to be with my laptop & Traktor.

I'm a little unsure though of how this setup would plug together. Particularly, I'm not sure how the Traktor software interfaces with both the DB4 - Do I require the Scratch Pro box, or can it be plugged in directly via USB? In which case, is this an easy thing to set up? I imagine then that the X1s also plug in via USB and all are managed by Traktor.

My thought is that for my core setup at home, I'd do this, but if travelling, I'd probably need the scratch pro box and the X1s, and can then use that scratch pro box as the sound card and use whatever mixer is available to me. Is this correct? I'd love at some point to have a go with CDJs just so I would be able to use a club system if (when) I pluck up the courage to do some nights at bars etc so I guess this is the right way to go. Finding this stuff to go and actually try in person seems quite hard though. There is a shop near me that does a lot of DJ equipment but they're not well versed to offer advice or demos so I thought I'd try here..!

Unless you're planning on using timecode, you don't need the 'scratch pro box' (Audio 4/6/8/10), just plug the mixer directly into the laptop, select the DB4 in the sound settings and you're done!

When travelling, once again, if you're not using timecode, just pick up an Audio 2, connect it to whatever mixer you have at the time and run traktor in internal mode. If you do ever decide to go timecode though, might be best to pick up an audio 6 straight off rather than spending money on the Audio 2 as well (although the audio 2 is great as a backup sound card!)
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

If you want to use traktor you need a native instruments audio 4/6/8/10 as mentioned above. You seem to have everything else right for working with NI

He only needs an Audio 4/6/8/10 if he's planning to use timecode. Otherwise the DB4 has a built in soundcard which can be used.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    He only needs an Audio 4/6/8/10 if he's planning to use timecode. Otherwise the DB4 has a built in soundcard which can be used.
    The only reason I mentioned it is because he kept mention scratch pro with traktor gear, so I feel he wants complete control with any gear he comes up against.

if you are planning on playing out anywhere and controling 4 decks and the place doesn't have a db4 or djm 900 or whatever you will want a soundcard.

Thanks guys, that seems fairly clear cut. I'll probably start by getting hold of a DB4 and a couple of X1s and then will pick up one of the Audio boxes so I can travel with it. Last question - I currently record mixes using the internal Traktor recorder, but this will obviously no longer fully work if I'm adding in effects externally via the DB4. What would be the best way to record in this case? Do I take a monitor feed out of the DB4 back into the laptop via some medium?

Your gona be travelling with a db4 lugged over your shoulder?
    What kind of travelling are we talking here? Town? State? national?

Rather you than me mate.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

I just got me a DB2 and two S3700's. I now have the best of both worlds as I will be picking up a couple of X1's so I can do CD, midi or whatever else my heart desires. The DB2/4 are amazing mixers and work very well with traktor out of the box. Totally plug and play and the built in sound card is convenient.
    13" MBP | Xone DB2 | Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 X Denon DN-S3700 | NUmark TTX| NI MASCHINE MK2 | ABLETON PUSH

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 450nick View Post
    My thought is that for my core setup at home, I'd do this, but if travelling, I'd probably need the scratch pro box and the X1s, and can then use that scratch pro box as the sound card and use whatever mixer is available to me. Is this correct? I'd love at some point to have a go with CDJs just so I would be able to use a club system if (when) I pluck up the courage to do some nights at bars etc so I guess this is the right way to go
    Correct, if you want a portable setup for travelling and would like to use CDJs with Traktor you need a Traktor Scratch sound card. You also need to be running Traktor Scratch software to use timecode CDs.

If you buy a new Audio 6 or 10 the software and timecode discs are included. Otherwise if you buy a standalone card second hand you can get the software and timecode media here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...e-kit/pricing/
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast